Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Shinobi Legend  (Read 11521 times)

Shinro

• Your withering eyes will be remembered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Shinobi Legend
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »

In the past, we didn't have this problem because the death of a char wasn't permanent. After being killed,  one could've simply learn from their mistakes, sharpen their rp, and resume playing as their favorite char. Fear has struck rpers now that it's the norm to die; thus, resulting in them becoming overpowered in hopes of lessening their chances of dying. This is fact. It's the cold, cold truth.  Standards will never exist as long as death is a certainty.

If you want to change this, by all means, as a community, make the norm of dying a choice that could be agreed upon before engaging in rp. Then, and only then, can we finally have standards, knowledgeable rpers, and more rp. This problem is so very easy to fix. Wake up. Accept that fear of death is true in this realm and in the real world. Get rid of fear by providing security, something that humans need in order to move forward. Heed my words, for they are an absolute truth.

Our community could birth another golden age of rp, that is, if you wish it to. It's all up to you.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:02:39 AM by Shinro »
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
En un mundo loco, sólo los locos están cuerdos.
Dans un monde fou, seuls les fous sont sains d'esprit.
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »

Alternatively people opt to become OP, just because they can. Nobody seems to want to start from scratch nowadays, where I'm finding newbies to the site given some appear to have been informed that resets = power, instead claim incredibly powerful non-KG-related powers instead in order to contend with those who've well, been on the site much longer than they have and bothered to work their way to where they are today.

The concept of death may have an effect, but it is absolutely not the domineering one out of the lot. From what I see, newbies just want a headstart. And that headstart is just contributing to an undeniable slippery slope the community's tumbling down to date.

Giving everybody access to powers akin to that of those deemed OP is well, absolute anarchy. There's nothing you can say to conceal that fact. Make one work for for a KG instead aside from using the leveling system UNIQUE TO THE SITE? Mind you, most KG's are attained at birth, some knowing and others unknowing of them at first; what work is there in suddenly discovering powers already possessed? Virtually none.

Now before anybody says anything in response to this, I ask you have a good, long think about what would happen if everybody had a KG from the get-go. Have a good long think about how the 'golden days' you lot seem to consistently reminisce about took place when Kishi hadn't introduced the plethora of admittedly-OP concepts and abilities so commonly utilized today. Those 'golden days' will never come back, there can be 'silver days', but they'd never live up to the past's rendition.

Anyway, I predict there'll be an essay on part of a select few when I bother reading this thread again, so until I bother revisiting this thread, {/goodbye}.

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

Alternatively people opt to become OP, just because they can. Nobody seems to want to start from scratch nowadays, where I'm finding newbies to the site given some appear to have been informed that resets = power, instead claim incredibly powerful non-KG-related powers instead in order to contend with those who've well, been on the site much longer than they have and bothered to work their way to where they are today.

The concept of death may have an effect, but it is absolutely not the domineering one out of the lot. From what I see, newbies just want a headstart. And that headstart is just contributing to an undeniable slippery slope the community's tumbling down to date.

Giving everybody access to powers akin to that of those deemed OP is well, absolute anarchy. There's nothing you can say to conceal that fact. Make one work for for a KG instead aside from using the leveling system UNIQUE TO THE SITE? Mind you, most KG's are attained at birth, some knowing and others unknowing of them at first; what work is there in suddenly discovering powers already possessed? Virtually none.

Now before anybody says anything in response to this, I ask you have a good, long think about what would happen if everybody had a KG from the get-go. Have a good long think about how the 'golden days' you lot seem to consistently reminisce about took place when Kishi hadn't introduced the plethora of admittedly-OP concepts and abilities so commonly utilized today. Those 'golden days' will never come back, there can be 'silver days', but they'd never live up to the past's rendition.

Anyway, I predict there'll be an essay on part of a select few when I bother reading this thread again, so until I bother revisiting this thread, {/goodbye}.

Well, why wouldn't the newbies want a headstart? If they can't exactly compete with the regularly RPing players, then they are not exactly given much choice, as staying at the bottom offers little benefits to them.

There are no teams to join to learn from better RPers, because what better RPers there are are either gone from the site or uninterested/don't have the methods to actually do it. There really is no mission system, it is hard to have teams compete against each other. I was not as involved in RP during the part I section of Naruto, so I honestly cannot tell you what the mot powerful characters did back then.

What I can tell ya is how part II RPer are, and that is how we still are. The more powerful you are, the more you have to work with; the weaker you are, the less that you have to work with. Starting from scratch is not advantageous unless you do not intend on fighting all that much, because hardly will you see someone on your level come into the RP and want to fight.

With there being no benefit to starting from complete scratch, certain characters would suffer considerably from permanent death and then rebirth. Mine, for example, with all my custom techniques and stuff, would have to choose another character that will either have to learn all of those techniques again or, by some meta method, outright know them already. Relationships would have to reset, etc.

The system even back then can be very unforgiving to permanent death. Even with resets galore, everyone is bound to have their set of custom stuff that only their character knew/could do. When the standard deviation has such a short gap for newcomers with few powers/abilities/skills, it is only natural that they will want to start with an edge up in order to get involved.

...If you want to change this, by all means, as a community, make the norm of dying a choice that could be agreed upon before engaging in rp...

It is a choice upon engaging in RP. You will see plenty of "for keeps" though, almost like its a default setting.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 03:11:39 AM »

Nothing posses me off more then see someone say that the new generation is so mistreated because their characters aren't equal to those of us who have spent years upon year to build our characters. I for one have made many a radioes in rl for the rp I have done towards my character.

I have never once seen a site where noobs start with characters as strong as the vets. Unless the vets are starting a new charcter.

I blame the laziness of this genenration. Who has its had out seekin to be given a easy way out. We all had to start from scratch and it was never easy.

One doesn't need a teacher to learn to rp just get of your ass and rp. Trial and error is the best method. That's how I learned. And theres nothing like the thrill of having your life on the line that pushes you that extra step.

What fun is fighting if you have nothing to loss? It's that gamble that send that thrill up your spin and lights that fire in your heart to smash the keys on that keyboard as your mind turns them words into a mental image. Lose your self in the moment as reality slips and the day dream turns into a cold sweat and a rapidly  beating heart. It's the thrill of death that drive a true warrior. The thought of giving your all until bitter end that creates true fighters.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »

Nothing posses me off more then see someone say that the new generation is so mistreated because their characters aren't equal to those of us who have spent years upon year to build our characters. I for one have made many a radioes in rl for the rp I have done towards my character.

I have never once seen a site where noobs start with characters as strong as the vets. Unless the vets are starting a new charcter.

I blame the laziness of this genenration. Who has its had out seekin to be given a easy way out. We all had to start from scratch and it was never easy.

One doesn't need a teacher to learn to rp just get of your ass and rp. Trial and error is the best method. That's how I learned. And theres nothing like the thrill of having your life on the line that pushes you that extra step.

What fun is fighting if you have nothing to loss? It's that gamble that send that thrill up your spin and lights that fire in your heart to smash the keys on that keyboard as your mind turns them words into a mental image. Lose your self in the moment as reality slips and the day dream turns into a cold sweat and a rapidly  beating heart. It's the thrill of death that drive a true warrior. The thought of giving your all until bitter end that creates true fighters.

When part I folks started from scratch, the worst that they had to worry about was some black fire, a powerful genjutsu here and there, Edo Tensei, and, dare I say it, demonic chidori.

Nowadays, you have susano'o, Rinnegan, Mokuton the size of mountains, 9 tailed beasts (instead of a demon fox or a sand ghost) chakra absorption on the scale of dark release, etc...

Kirk, the new generation is not "mistreated" just because they are lazy craps who do not want to RP; they have completely different odds stacked against them. Heck, when I was first around, the worst I had to worry about was getting gentle fisted in the gut into the mouth of a molten dragon.(Man, I just can't let that fight go for some reason...) And the hyugans were still on top back then! It was remotely unique to be Uchiha too.

Today, when you fight even the moderately good, you have to stand up to mangekyou sharingan, susano'o, mokuton, sage mode, the list goes on. It may not have been "easy" back then, but it sure as hell is not easy now to get along without some power backing you. No one ever said give them a sharingan day one, but I think what you consider newbie is being on the site less than six months, or something to that extent.

What fun is there in fighting if there is nothing to be gained? What is  the point in fighting if there is no prize, no possible chance of reward? Other than a time waster, there really is no point if there is nothing relatively tangible to be gained.  Since skill can only be enhanced with experience, some players have to get powerful resets just to friggen practice with other people.

I do not appreciate the gesture that an entire generation is just "lazy" and seeking an easy way out. I have friends who certainly do not fall into either of those sections, and I would not call them the exceptions either.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

Simply calls it like he sees it and does truly think SL has grown lazy.

Also what is to gain? What about honor and pride? It's honorable to fight to the death against worthy opponents.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

Simply calls it like he sees it and does truly think SL has grown lazy.

Also what is to gain? What about honor and pride? It's honorable to fight to the death against worthy opponents.

Honor and pride is not a worthy reason to risk my character's life, but that's just me. I learned my lesson about that concept years ago.

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »

Well, this topic didn't last long. All I see now is 'there is no community and new players suck'. That tends to happen when the people come here after watching the show and most of them want to Madara.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 04:13:59 AM »

No Nathan I want a drink.

And it would be a contradiction to my charcter to not risk his life for such things. After all Kirk is Uetto and Uetto is Kirk. I don't have a character I am the character and in RL I would bet my life for such things as well.

Omega Purple

• Yondaime Mizukage
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »

To me, what constitutes a legend would be someone who is remembered, whether that be in a good or bad way.

Mods from the old days were legends simply because there was a mixture of administrative and communal presence. They posted in the main village areas, interacted with other people, and generally did their job which helped bolster their visibility.

Other legends were people who were active in RP. Shigeo, Kirk, Camel, Rai, Ranketsu, Zenaku, Kayenta, Bocc, Cmage, Yumei, Gyururu, Tommi, Tracey, etc. etc. the list goes on and on. They've come in waves, some have stuck around and some have left due to growing too busy with real life and responsibilities, however they've all helped progress and stimulate RP in their own ways, which is pretty awesome.

I think people with high dk's and pvp's are legends as well. People like Konoho, Destinysforbidden, gyururu, bludtaino, louie, dodo, etc. With my sitter that I created years and years ago, I used to look up to the pvp'ers and think "damn, i'm never going to catch up!" Haha, in the end I didn't really, and only surpassed a few of them, but they gave me a goal to strive for nonetheless.

Like what most others have stated already, there aren't too many goals nowadays to reach for besides getting KG for some people, but that's just one dimension of the game that not everyone really cares to go for.

I think the progression of the anime and the way the techniques spiraled into an abyss of ridiculousness caused the RP to follow. Many people nowadays are more concerned with "being the best"/"being better than you" to the point where nobody wants to get hit because they think losing equates to being a bad rp'er. It is tough though, as previously mentioned getting hit once pretty much spells a death sentence to most due to the insta-kill kind of techniques people bust out every turn. But if people willingly go into RP fights with the mindset that they don't want their character to ever die, then they'll more than likely never take hits no matter how well placed/magnitude of an attack. Yet it's also hard to give up a character that you put years of work and effort into developing. It's a tough situation no matter how you look at it. I think the gif Tracey put summed everything up nicely. XD

SL has pretty much plateaued in a sense, because people think that promoting rp always has to be in the form of a war or fighting, yet when/if a war ever happens it turns into a clusterfack of ooc and uncivil fights. Soooo my personal goals nowadays are geared more towards keeping up some friendships from SL via skype or fb, and focusing on work IRL. I like to check back once a week or so via alts, but my drive is no longer here tbh.

But yeahhhhh, this ended up way too long so i'll stop rambling. It's getting late and i'll probably regret this post when I wake up. Bahaha  o_o
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:28:02 AM by Omega Purple »

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »

I hardly consider myself a legend lol.

I don't have muh time beause of rl at the moment but this summer I may try to develope a plot for the people of SL rp wise. I one there are an anondance of great minds at this site t aid me. So I hope we can get some god stuff going.

Sabumaru

• Justin Trudeau will vouch for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »

So a lot of people have said a lot of things, and a lot of things has mostly been "It used to be better, no community, new players suck, everyone's lazy"
But I knew all that about SL. And I know everything there is to know about the common cold except for a cure. Does that help me when I'm sick?
What I'm trying to say is good job everybody for pointing out stuff we all pretty much know, so does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what we should do about it?
I like this website, I like the format and the characters I have, I like the friends I've made and I like RPing with you guys. So I'm not content to just sit here and say "Yup SL is getting flushed down the toilet and all I'm gonna do is piss on it."
Excuse my French, but I put in way too much time, effort and money to my character, to my rp, and to this site to let you assholes just rag on it and not make have anything to say about how to fix it.

"It used to be better!"
Have a good long think about how the 'golden days' you lot seem to consistently reminisce about took place when Kishi hadn't introduced the plethora of admittedly-OP concepts and abilities so commonly utilized today. Those 'golden days' will never come back, there can be 'silver days', but they'd never live up to the past's rendition.

"New Players Suck!"
New players feel like they need a head start. Well, maybe we ought to direct them to a page here that explains how you need to build your character over time and with RP.
Maybe we ought to be more strict, forcing people to have witnesses to them getting and claiming things so that people don't just meta-take stuff. Maybe we should show them the ropes instead of stepping on them because they suck. If you don't want to do that, then don't complain about new players. End of story.

"There's No Community!"
Maybe because we're all jerks to each other whenever we try to have a discussion about anything? How about we try and prevent discussions from becoming aggressive and spiteful. Stop each other from being mean when we don't like someone else's opinion. And for god's sake stop with the snide, snarky comments that make you feel cool and tough and tuff and kewl. Nobody on SL has ever taken one of your rude and witty comments to heart, and nobody ever should, so just stop. Just grow up and stop.

"Everyone's Lazy!"
Lead by example, whether you're a kage or a genin, just choose not to take the easy way. This isn't something we can just "fix" with glue and paint, people are lazy because we let them get lazy, because we wanted to get lazy too.
I'm lazy. I'm the laziest person here. I bought my account, I just claimed random stuff that I made up, I don't have a consistent story for my character, and I never commit to a single thing.

Well, allow this to be the first thing I'd like to commit to. Like Yumei said, there might be no more golden-days, but we can at least get silver for now. And I'm gonna bet if we all actually made an effort to make SL better, the golden-days of yore would be in reach again.
Sorry for the sappy, but it's true.

Trying to set a new record for number of toddlers fought off simultaneously

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:51 AM »

Well like I said ths summer I want to bring forth a plot for an arc but I doubt many will want to follow it.

Omega Purple

• Yondaime Mizukage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »

So a lot of people have said a lot of things, and a lot of things has mostly been "It used to be better, no community, new players suck, everyone's lazy"
But I knew all that about SL. And I know everything there is to know about the common cold except for a cure. Does that help me when I'm sick?
What I'm trying to say is good job everybody for pointing out stuff we all pretty much know, so does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what we should do about it?

So is this thread turning into one from "what do you think is a legend/what are your goals" into a thread regarding "how do we try and improve the site?"

If that's the case, that's a whole other can of worms to open. While I do like to reminisce about times of old, I do agree that you can't get back what was then so you can only try and work on making it better for the present. What I was trying to say is that it will be difficult to come to a consensus due to the shift in people who are on the site and also the way that the manga has progressed.

There's always room to try and make the site better (or at least more welcoming and inclusive), but the hard part is coming up with suggestions and trying to get a majority of people to get on board with them.

What would you suggest Sabu?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:08:47 PM by Omega Purple »

Sabumaru

• Justin Trudeau will vouch for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

So is this thread turning into one from "what do you think is a legend/what are your goals" into a thread regarding "how do we try and improve the site?"

Yeah we don't usually stick to the topic on the forums. I'd rather talk about this anyways.

If that's the case, that's a whole other can of worms to open. While I do like to reminisce about times of old, I do agree that you can't get back what was then so you can only try and work on making it better for the present. What I was trying to say is that it will be difficult to come to a consensus due to the shift in people who are on the site and also the way that the manga has progressed.

There's always room to try and make the site better (or at least more welcoming and inclusive), but the hard part is coming up with suggestions and trying to get a majority of people to get on board with them.

What would you suggest Sabu?
This stuff:

"It used to be better!"
Have a good long think about how the 'golden days' you lot seem to consistently reminisce about took place when Kishi hadn't introduced the plethora of admittedly-OP concepts and abilities so commonly utilized today. Those 'golden days' will never come back, there can be 'silver days', but they'd never live up to the past's rendition.

"New Players Suck!"
New players feel like they need a head start. Well, maybe we ought to direct them to a page here that explains how you need to build your character over time and with RP.
Maybe we ought to be more strict, forcing people to have witnesses to them getting and claiming things so that people don't just meta-take stuff. Maybe we should show them the ropes instead of stepping on them because they suck. If you don't want to do that, then don't complain about new players. End of story.

"There's No Community!"
Maybe because we're all jerks to each other whenever we try to have a discussion about anything? How about we try and prevent discussions from becoming aggressive and spiteful. Stop each other from being mean when we don't like someone else's opinion. And for god's sake stop with the snide, snarky comments that make you feel cool and tough and tuff and kewl. Nobody on SL has ever taken one of your rude and witty comments to heart, and nobody ever should, so just stop. Just grow up and stop.

"Everyone's Lazy!"
Lead by example, whether you're a kage or a genin, just choose not to take the easy way. This isn't something we can just "fix" with glue and paint, people are lazy because we let them get lazy, because we wanted to get lazy too.
I'm lazy. I'm the laziest person here. I bought my account, I just claimed random stuff that I made up, I don't have a consistent story for my character, and I never commit to a single thing.

Feel free to pick these apart, I'd rather that than you pretend you think they're perfect ideas and silently think what I said is idiotic. I know all the answers aren't there, but we gotta start somewhere.

Trying to set a new record for number of toddlers fought off simultaneously
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.