Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Hyouton Specialty  (Read 1830 times)

Isaribi

• View Profile
Hyouton Specialty
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:20:46 AM »

So, I looked around on the forum, and maybe I am just bad at looking, but I couldn't find anything that talked about Hyouton as a specialty.

With the Hyouton reset, I don't think the specialty makes much sense anymore. I'd like to see it replaced with something like "Kenjutsu" or something that is actually a specialty instead of a KG. It could be as simple as a renaming of sorts, or as complicated as a reworking. I like how Hyouton works, as do a lot of people, but the fact that it is Hyouton kinda bugs me.

There are plenty of Kenjutsu techniques that could be viable for a rework of Hyouton, and I'm sure there are other alternatives, too.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:25:32 AM by Isaribi »
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
Re: Hyouton Specialty
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:39:32 AM »

The Hyouton specialty focuses on the manipulation of preexisting snow/ice/frost/Ditto/that-icecream-Pokemon (influenced by the first movie), whereas the KG focuses on creating ice from thin air (or something like that).

There is a point in still having it, though it isn't very dominant.

Having a kenjutsu specialty on the other hand would make next to no sense whatsoever were somebody with no in-game weapon (say, at rank 0) able to use it. Similarly it wouldn't make sense to make a specialty rendered insignificant to every other one just because a character lacks a purchasable item.

Isaribi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »

The Hyouton specialty focuses on the manipulation of preexisting snow/ice/frost/Ditto/that-icecream-Pokemon (influenced by the first movie), whereas the KG focuses on creating ice from thin air (or something like that).

There is a point in still having it, though it isn't very dominant.

Having a kenjutsu specialty on the other hand would make next to no sense whatsoever were somebody with no in-game weapon (say, at rank 0) able to use it. Similarly it wouldn't make sense to make a specialty rendered insignificant to every other one just because a character lacks a purchasable item.

I understand the issue you have with Kenjutsu, especially with those people who are physically unable to purchase a weapon; but I do think you are being a bit confrontational about an idea I was proposing as an alternative, especially since I did say pretty clearly that I was sure there are other alternatives.

Hyouton, as it stands, sticks out as the specialty that makes the least amount of sense because of the KG. I understand the 'pre-existing snow' argument, but to be frank, the information we have about Hyouton Specialty comes from a Naruto movie which has no official baring upon the canon plot. Hell, the movie from which Hyouton Specialty derives also features guns, trains, cars, and movie theaters--maybe we should have some of these in-game? I'm pretty sure its ratings aren't very good, either, and though I can't remember where, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that even Kishimoto was disappointed in this movie.

In the rules people have tried to draw up concerning SL RP, even, Hyouton is treated as a KG, not as a specialty. If there is a 'reason' to have a Hyouton specialty, you are right, it certainly is not dominant at all.
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »

A bit old and like you said the canonity of the movie is questionable, but anyway, that actually is the difference.

Hyouton KG creates and manipulates ice, while the specialty only manipulates already existing kind. That's how Kakashi was able to copy it. A KG user is never defenseless, while a specialty user can't really do squat at for example a desert.

If looking at sense-making aspect, taijutsu makes fairly little sense either since that's what basically all your normal attacks are, yet still there it is, a specialty. Also well...hyouton's basically the #1 dominant end-game specialty, I vaguely recall even Neji himself said he's not touching it, lol.

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:15:45 PM »

A bit old and like you said the canonity of the movie is questionable, but anyway, that actually is the difference.

Hyouton KG creates and manipulates ice, while the specialty only manipulates already existing kind. That's how Kakashi was able to copy it. A KG user is never defenseless, while a specialty user can't really do squat at for example a desert.

If looking at sense-making aspect, taijutsu makes fairly little sense either since that's what basically all your normal attacks are, yet still there it is, a specialty. Also well...hyouton's basically the #1 dominant end-game specialty, I vaguely recall even Neji himself said he's not touching it, lol.

Please don't Necro old posts.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.