Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Drug Use with Characters  (Read 8535 times)

Suishou Koji

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
Drug Use with Characters
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

The increase of drug use amongst characters have spiked in SL recently and I see this as a problem among the community. The site is set within the realm of Naruto which has, for all we know, drinking and smoking but no use of other drugs like Marijuana.

Now SL is a place that, yes, contains adults but it also has lots of children and teens who should not be exposed to this type of thing.

*No Hono, I'm not calling you out on this. I've seen other character's who use drugs for fuel their characters power.

What do you guys and gals think? Is it an issue or should we just go with the flow of people making characters like this?
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: Drug Use with Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »

Well they censor it to something like cannabis or natural herbs and the likes. :P

However you can get drunk in the game and act drunk all you want in rp. Smoking normal tobacco is also seen as mundane and doesn't cause an issue.

Those two things have been around for a long time now which is why people don't see it as such a huge deal. It's normal. We've all tried alcohol and smoking. (At least most of us) even before the legal ages.

What I'm trying to say is you see an issue with it because it's not legal in a lot of states and seen as bad. I'm not arguing against it not being bad/good. However why stop them from using it in game? In 100 years (god forbid this game is still out) and marijuana was legal 75 of those 100 years then it'd be a normal thing. Like smoking and drinking is now.

This game isn't as child friendly as you might think. There's a lot of things such as tenten and Hinata while not directly stating insinuates very much so having sex with them. Then with pervy sage you can peek at naked women, like I said get drunk and married and so on.

So there is only biased issues here. Those who see it as normal or those who see it as obscene. However unless we take out all the other adult content or the likes we can't go against the few that do cannabis in their rp while people are drunk murdering baby eating psychopaths. (Sabumaru)

But then where's the line that we draw? Well marijuana is becoming more and more legal it seems. Other drugs known as hard drugs I think shouldn't be allowed. Cocaine, meth, etc are manufactured drugs more than the previous stated ones.

So drunk, nicotine, and high - allowed
Anything else - no
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »

I am against it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:06:53 PM by KayentaMoenkopi »

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »

I am against it. I am against sex scenes in public as well. Which is against site rules.
Child friendly site?

Now while I personally do not see anything wrong with adult themes in rp, they have their place.

but if you must be drugged up to rp? Then I expect to see debuffs to your character's functioning abilities. It is no miracle enhancement that makes you oh so powerful. It makes you weak...we are not talking about the beserker rage of PCP here where you just keep charging forward even though the cops have just filled your chest with bullets. Pot impairs everything about your ability to function up to par, save at the BBQ stand where Choji hangs out.

My objection is the glorifying of it before children. There are children in my country who are dying from the purchase of synthetic weed. They are too stupid to know the difference and it is cheap. The chemicals used to coat it are not illegal. They try to keep up with it by making them illegal and then the manufacturers just change chemicals so they can be all legal once more. Some kid thinks its cool, they buy it, and they die. These are not even teenagers this is happening to.

I am also not all that impressed with running around drunk in rp. However, it is legal for adults [yes i know pot is legal for medical use with a prescription in some parts of my country. we need it for medicinal use everywhere. the results are quite remarkable in every case and it is stupid to deny people this aid.] and part of the buffs one can purchase in game, we have rp'd children trying to sneak a drink and the community stepping in to prevent it. One of my character's runs a sake house. Lee in the manga had drunken style. And that was played as his curious reaction to alcohol, which he abstains from like the plague until Mickey Finn'ed by his sensei. I personally feel the effects of alcohol are much worse that those of pot. I have as yet to hear of anyone saying, "Man I got so stoned last night I went home and beat the old woman." The debate over its benifits, versus those of alcohol are numerous and quite obvious to anyone who has bothered to look around.

However, that is not the point here.

Nasty language is barred and you can get banned for that. You can have all sorts of lovely things happen to you in the realm of punishments for daring to curse at someone. And why? Why is one word for a dirty rotten scoundrel acceptable while saying they are a #$%^*&*$ is not? They mean the same thing?

I presume it is because as a society we have been raised to keep our language clean before children, ladies, delicate personalities and the like. Why?

Could it be out of respect? could it be so children do not emulate their elders and turn into trash mouths?

So there you have it. It is a bad example to have out there for children.

And Hono? Side tracking the issue by pointing the finger to say...well look...its a naked woman, oh look its a pervy sage...or oh look they have beer...does not in any way impair the point of this topic.

That is like saying, well there are so many things messed up in the world let's just condone everything since even if we change this one thing there are still 6 million other issues out there that can corrupt and do much worse things to the youth of the world.

I say why just be one more turd on the pile of shit? It is so easy to NOT add to the world of woes. And it hurts no one to clean up things a little bit here and there. However, the why bother attitude does no one any good.

So because stupid ass parents can't be a parent you're blaming Hono for using weed on an rp site? I bet no kid at all got on and saw Hono's post and then went to buy synthetic weed and died. In your country.

There's no reason to stop them. No kid saw Hono's post and then went to buy weed cause he thought it was cool.

Kids emulate those they look up to. Hiphop stars, parents, friends. Not some random guy on the internet on a not too popular rp site.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:09:53 PM by Madara (Shadow) »
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »

stupid parents?

like yours who failed to keep you from trying drugs and alcohol?

Like mine who did the same?

As if anyone can watch dog someone's life in the manner it would take to achieve such a straight and narrow existence that was filled with never doing anything that was wrong or bad for them.

Again I say why be that one more turd on the pile of bad influences? However, it is a comfort to know that you are so in touch with everyone here who reads these rp's to know what they do in their private time afterwards. I for one do not wish to gamble on your ability to know if you are right or wrong as to if the use of drugs in rp creates a safe environment for children here or not. I know that my children are not allowed to come on SL. And that is only one of the reasons why. Too bad too. They are much more creative in rp than I ever was.

I am done with this topic. I have voiced my objections. They are there to be counted up when it comes time for each person to decide how they will behave and what they wish to be known for.

I never tried any drug. Not even smoking. Ever. Drinking, yes that I have tried. However I don't drink. Ask anyone who knows me. ~

Agreed. More peoples opinions please!

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »

It's fine. I highly doubt any naruto game is going to drive kids to do drugs or drink, and if it does, well they were likely doomed in the real world anyway.

Maybe I'm biased cause I do both drugs and alcohol, but the drug in question here is marijuana. It's totally fine to rp with it. Especially when you consider it's not illegal everywhere (Netherlands, Colorodo, Alaska, D.C, etc).

If you're really uptight, maybe have the words cannabis, weed, etc filtered to natural herb, but that's all I can suggest.

If you're worried about children and don't want this allowed, then also removed any sex, tobacco, or alcohol references. Don't pick and choose, be all or nothing in my opinion.

Though if we are just going by what children emulate and do, shouldn't we just ban this whole game? A game based of fighting and killing, seems like we're sending the wrong message. Drugs are a big no, but watching people fight and kill, sure. Heck, a few years ago a kid died emulating Gaara's attack
http://www.tv.com/news/boy-dies-after-friends-imitate-naruto-11008/
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »

Back to the subject at hand.

I jail whoever uses mind- or judgement-altering substances in my village. Mainly because it's a ninja thing, where ninjas gotta know how to out-ninja other ninjas.

Like, lighting some pot may sound cool, until someone ninjas you for being impaired. Alchohol is different, where it can be good in small doses for being social. Though another drink can loosen someone up and impair just a bit of their judgement. And more can lead the drunkenness, which we all know impairs a lot. Heck, it's a part of Jiraiya's three vices of a ninja, that he unfortunately falls into. Or at least acts like he falls into.

It's also for the sake of being ninja, is why I usually leave my Sharingan active all the time. And why I'm usually setting some distance between myself and everyone. Not being Hanzo-paranoid here, but this is a continent full of ninjas.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »

The increase of drug use amongst characters have spiked in SL recently and I see this as a problem among the community. The site is set within the realm of Naruto which has, for all we know, drinking and smoking but no use of other drugs like Marijuana.

Now SL is a place that, yes, contains adults but it also has lots of children and teens who should not be exposed to this type of thing.

*No Hono, I'm not calling you out on this. I've seen other character's who use drugs for fuel their characters power.

What do you guys and gals think? Is it an issue or should we just go with the flow of people making characters like this?

Really? I must have missed where this increased usage is even at. I haven't done any of these substances (sipped alcohol for worms when I was little but that was it). As earlier stated, if parents can't watch young children (I'm talking before puberty here) then that is an issue with the parenting in my opinion. It is considered rude to swear even as an adult, so no wonder you get banned for that.

However, the usage should be relevent to the character and not just for the sake of promoting it. I mean, if Hono gets his high (figuratively, not literally) from using sage mode and cannabis, well, okay, as long as it makes sense when actually used in RP (as Kayenta pointed out, the drug itself doesn't exactly seem very helpful for a combat person, but then again, Lee got tipsy if not outright drunk and still fought mildly coherently). If it's being smoked just for the sake of promotion, that's the line I say.

Most of the game's sensual stuff generally gives you buffs (marriage, getting laid, peeping, etc.) and may even alter the way your post outputs to the screen, so there's that relevence there.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Hono Uzumaki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:56 PM »

Lol, you are calling me out because my characters smoke pot. I don't care. Feel free to speak your minds.

The fact is, this game is about murder, killing for power, fighting, struggle, ect. I don't see how a fantasy character smoking something in a game of "Make Believe" isn't going to corrupt people, and if it does; they were weak minded to begin with.

Marijuana isn't the 'Devil's Herb' as America claims, it has been the outlet to many advances in the ability to fight cancer. Stop Seizures among mood balancing qualities and anti-anxiety medication. It's just because the cotton industry banned cannabis so that the government could still have the cash crop control.

I mean, if you are not a good enough parent to say, "Don't do drugs, drugs are serious things." I don't think you should be fertile. I personally smoke for many medicinal purposes:

I have mood swings, extreme anxiety disorders, OCD, and manic depression. I cope and live today thanks to the CBD, THC, THCA, CBDB ect. You have your right to an opinion and so do I; but is me strolling around smoking more harmful than.... say someone waiting to kill their brother during sleep or maybe even say...

If my RP offends people, I am sorry, but when their is only one person upset, I don't see a problem.
My character is a nice guy, a super hippie... use to be quite the dickhead. Found God in Nature and has taken a monk style approach. I am presenting weed as a calm, easy thing (except Sage Mode) I don't directly say Marijuana ever, but I would like too. I don't portray it negatively and hell, most people assume I smoke tobacco.

Words and speech can be influential, but it's the core of a person.

Prime Example of Naruto Misleading in the very first one.

Solider Pills: Make you fight for three days nonstop; equivalent to Nazi's pill of the same name.. it was made with meth...

their are plenty of references.

Rock Lee vs Garaa (Drunken Fist)

It goes to show that, Lee is a bad mofo when he drinks and fights seemingly better, but Garaa OP.
Is that not going to lead kids to want to drink to see if they are better fighters?
This is a realm of fantasy through and through and if kids can't separate that, it's not my or anyone else's fault that the kids choose to do so.

SL Examples:
A girl in Suna (Envy) dying, covered in vomit and crying drunk out of her mind and no one helped her. It was a gruesome RP, but it's okay, because alcohol isn't going to corrupt anyone, right? It's not addicting. There isn't a disease known as Alcoholism.. Nah.

Like, it showed the worse side of alcohol when all of us that have had a drink or two know that, it's rarely like that and everyone views it differently. Times are changing, buckle up.

tl;dr: It's RPG AU... It's a fantasy. If your only reason is to protect kids, then you it either means you assume the kids are weak minded and automatically will resort to drugs from reading about it in a text based game.

Or

All Parents are shitty and don't make their kids understand right from wrong.

P.S:You start learning about drugs in elementary school around 5th grade. So, yeah...
P.S.S: I can a test that, weed makes me a easier going person, I am easier to talk to and less confrontational. If that is a bad thing, by all means, I can RP without it. But, Villages might blow up ;)

Hono Uzumaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »

Now where Kage is coming from, I like.

If you are against drugs, arrest me... or try! It is just another layer into RP! Very fun and interesting as I might add.

I have developed a whole Sage Mode based around it and nature. I don't rely on the pot, but it helps for other purposes. I just haven't heard a valid argument yet, and I am not trying to be rude either, I think this really needed to be address and if the majority votes one way...

I mean I won't like it, but I will rework my character. I just don't see it as a big deal and didn't think this much conflict would arise.

FYI:
Justu Lists:

Cannabis Fist
Kush Kiss (Execution by Kiss Alt)
Purple Haze (Fog AOE that causes lethargic movements in others)

(Oh, and you can build tolerances which allow you to fight with it better so you don't move so sluggishly.) It's a fun aspect.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »

"Kid friendly game"

Alright...lets look at this "kid friendly game". Did you know you can get laid by Ten-ten and Hinata? Doing so increases your charm. By the way, peeking at girls? Hella kid friendly.

Also, the manga glorifies drinking. The fact that Lee was so kickass when after drinking the sake kinda says something.

Before it was changed, deleting your character would send the character's spouse the darkest suicide message ever.

Now, lets talk about rp. I'm gonna use Hono as an example since he gets a lot of slack for this and his love for Mary Jane. I typically read everyone's rps, and his use of Mary Jane is quite creative. Now tell me, how is that any different from someone who drinks in RP?

If I were to talk about the 'heavy drinkers' of SL, I immediately think of Kirk, Asadi, and a few others.

So, we can glorify drunkness and problems that come with that, but getting high? No, that's a cardinal sin. 

#420Blazeit
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:06:47 PM by Genesis »

Hono Uzumaki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

"Kid friendly game"

Alright...lets look at this "kid friendly game". Did you know you can get laid by Ten-ten and Hinata? Doing so increases your charm. By the way, peeking at girls? Hella kid friendly.

Also, the manga glorifies drinking. The fact that Lee was so kickass when after drinking the sake kinda says something.

Before it was changed, deleting your character would send the character's spouse the darkest suicide message ever.

Now, lets talk about rp. I'm gonna use Hono as an example since he gets a lot of slack for this and his love for Mary Jane. I typically read everyone's rps, and his use of Mary Jane is quit creative. Now tell me, how is that any different from someone who drinks in RP?

If I were to talk about the 'heavy drinkers' of SL, I immediately think of Kirk, Asadi, and a few others.

So, we can glorify drunkness and problems that come with that, but getting high? No, that's a cardinal sin. 

#420Blazeit

Gene <3 bby

Yeah, my use of it in RP has developed over time.. I start originally with Cannabis Fist, and my charcter had no tolerance and it really was a dire move to use, but when the opponent has Sharingan and can trace your movements, by relaxing all the muscles in your body and moving as your body naturally wishes to flow, I can dodge more perfectly and the perdict of Sharingan is useless.

From there it only grew, I am more of a stationary fighter, but since tolerance makes the effects less of a high and more of a state of mind, I began to train it with meditation to take the good and filter the bad. I mean, I am glad Gene reads my RPs, I go alittle to ham bone on them sometimes.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 10:51:31 PM »

Until Neji puts up a Pot smoking buff at the ramen shop, all the other so called ill of the game are justifiable, while this one is not SL sanctioned.

So the very crux of your argument is that all of the "ill(s)" stated prior are perfectly fine since they serve some in-game function?

Does this mean I have to go to "feature requests" and ask Neji for a cannabis shop ingame?

Hono Uzumaki

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »

Fine. I am going to Neji then. BRB with messages.

I will pention for the cannabis shop (medical of course) and all. Gonna be dope, yo.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »

Fine. I am going to Neji then. BRB with messages.

I will pention for the cannabis shop (medical of course) and all. Gonna be dope, yo.

Be sure to mention names:
1. Hypeherbally

2. Apotcalypse

3. B’leaf

4. Fweedom Collective

5. The Canna Cabana

6. Planet Hollyweed

7. Starbuds

8. Hard Pot Cafe

9. United We’d Stand

10. One Hit Wonders

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 16 queries.