Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's make an SL religion  (Read 3668 times)

Trev

• View Profile
Let's make an SL religion
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »

So I've been thinking about way to add depth to our little SL universe lately. Religion came to mind right away and has been for awhile. There seems to be lack of them around, and why do jashinist get all the fun?

This idea as been floating through my mind for awhile, so why not try to implement a patron god/goddess for Otogakure?

My thought was to either use directly or indirectly the shinto deity of Inari Okami. Perhaps not directly as to not offend anyone of the Shinto religion.

Backstory:
Inari Okami (or deity to be named) long ago dwelt within what is now the Land of Sound or rice patties. The enchantments placed upon the land come from this deity and is a reason for Otogakure's great agriculture (playing off Inari being a kami of rice). People of the Sound keep making offerings and the deity keeps giving Oto it's bountiful harvest.

Inari is also known to take the forms of several species. Most prominently is the fox, which I shall not be using. However, it can also form the snake and dragon. The snake being tied to Otogakure via the manga, and dragon via sl rp of Shinro. This would help explain Otogakure's fascination with these creatures and deem them "holy". Perhaps I could swap the fox with wolves, since SL rp has had many wolves in Otogakure.

Enhancements:
I wanted to have some sort of player benefit like Jashin gives to his followers. Of course I didn't want it to be too strong of a thing like Jashin gives, just something to make it interesting. Some legends of Inari offer tales of a whip that can burn crops. So I was thinking followers of the religion get a whip that can produce fire chakra or something. I was looking to add some other power up, but am stumped as to what.

So I posted this here to get feedback and ideas from others, so this could be made a thing that could be implemented in Otogakure and give some religious diversity to the land.

Apologies to anyone of the Shinto faith if they find this offensive or inaccurate in anyway, not my intent.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: Let's make an SL religion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »

Hmmm. Suna has a festival to the Kami spirits. Kumogakure's town square had those pillars with the mosaic tile work upon them that depict Amateratsu and other's from that pantheon. As well as having the monastery above the lightning plains dedicated to Raijin. And then there are those who follow more of an ancestor worship rather than a deity per say. I don't' think deities are that out of place. And as with any religion, you will have those that hold to none. It's certainly not obligatory.

However, there will be those who deny such boons, due to it being very convenient that you have an NPC God bestow such things upon you. And if you bring the power of a god into play with the SL community he certainly will be on your side and such.

However, not bringing the gods into actual combat scenarios...or to be used as a quick fix buff to sticky situations...Save me Obi One, you're my only hope...and instant teleportation out of there...I see no harm in it. Skeptics can always attribute the occurrences away as they do today.

Hmmm, wolves, Snakes, and dragons... that brings to mind several aspects of such things, the real beasts and those that come from legend and lore or even today's fictions, that can come into play.

Wolves are often spirit companions. Snakes shed their skins...perhaps some sort of trans-formative process that changed the appearance of the person with each shedding granted? Dragons are said to have extensive longevity and can even take the form of humans when they wish to. There are also tales told of dragons who keep  their hearts in a secret location outside the body and thus cannot be killed. A bit moddish to me but...some sort of resilience perhaps?

I like the whip aspect. It's kind of cool. I will think some more and get back to you. This could be fun!

Ooops! My sister says, "Uhm...you killed the wolves in Oto Trev. Why would they help Oto out at all? Any wolf deity, such as the Moon Goddess or those that take their form, must certainly be ticked off as can be!"

Oh well, I guess there is always atonement!

Suishou Koji

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:54 AM »

Kumogakure has Thunder Gods.
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »

Nah, the deity will offer no get out of jail free cards, even Jashin's loyal subject Hidan is still in the dirt after all!!!

Though I'm glad to see the other villages how different high above figures, makes for interesting rp. Could also evolve into something like the Greek Cities had, where each village has their patron god, goddess, spirit, or whatever.

I also certainly am not going to force anyone to join should they not wish too!!!

I did kill a bunch of wolves, I have not forgotten! Inari uses foxes, but Oto don't really got those, so why not wolves. As you said there is always atonement. Or perhaps even divine punishment for my sins against Oto's patron protector!!!

But I do think I'll include the whip in some form, perhaps instead of power ups, I'll create divine weapons, items, and such. I too will have to keep thinking about such things, background, and lore.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »

Oh my goodness. How could I forget about Shai-Hulud!!! The Great Sand Worm deity.

I'm going to sand flea hell for sure. Right in the biggest patch of daisy flea bane imaginable!

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »

I prefer the use of spirits over gods, because really, otherwise it always boils down into the whole 'my god is better than your god, no but my god does this so you can't do that to me', et cetera. I shouldn't have to remind people of stuff like the debacle with Kage's takama no hara.

For example even the most ancient ones of suna's ancient culture Al-Kahtar, such as the 'sand prince' who's said to be lord of all things desert? Recent RP has implied for them to have been in fact just humans who found a way to shed the physical body and exist solely as energy, a spirit, instead. Revered for the achievement, sure, but not worshiped as deities or anything, that was only done by later generations who knew nothing of ascension and had bulged the tale with each retelling into absurd scale.

Hitler-Chan

• Moshi Moshi Adolf Desu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »

If this comes to pass, I see Konoha fighting with Suna over the Giza Strip, I uh mean that forest between the two. ;D

Allahu Akbar!
They say there is a strength in numbers, well, tell that to 6 Million Jews.

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »

Honestly, I think if Oto wants a religion, then Oto can have one o.o

But so far, I've seen it been said that every village has it's own village.

And that isn't even including Jashinism and the Shinigami Cult that keito and I made up that has a handful of followers(http://narutoprofile.wikia.com/wiki/Shinigami).

o.o;
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »

Kumogakure has Thunder Gods.

6 of them.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »

I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »

Amegakure's whole shtick was always this, in the series and SL. I actually planned to grant my followers Takama no Hara and then eventually Susanoo Sage Mode if they were seen as capable of using either one. Though I don't ask for any worship or anything related to that. Just that they're cool with me and are loyal.

Though I actually had the Ame no Ohabari made for certain situations where if somebody were to pull out a "super-indestructible-intangible-to-the-physical-form-and-unstoppable-spiritual-based-technique/attack/barrier/form/etc".

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 07:32:20 PM »

However, Kage...in RP you yourself said you had no defenses for the village that would stop demons from entering...like Nayeli did with her portal...and of course I took full advantage of it. :P

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »

First a nonsensical custom thing that voids all custom things, then a sentient susanoo herd that lasts forever because lol-senjutsu, now a sword that destroys everything by being even more super-indestructible-intangible-to-the-physical-form-and-unstoppable-spiritual-based-technique/attack/barrier/form/etc than they are.

What's next kage, you're just gonna drop being human altogether and claim to be an actual god?

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »

First a nonsensical custom thing that voids all custom things, then a sentient susanoo herd that lasts forever because lol-senjutsu, now a sword that destroys everything by being even more super-indestructible-intangible-to-the-physical-form-and-unstoppable-spiritual-based-technique/attack/barrier/form/etc than they are.

What's next kage, you're just gonna drop being human altogether and claim to be an actual god?

Maybe he'll join Kumo to become the 7th.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:24:35 PM »

Uetto is simple a Christian much like myself sense he was modeled after me. Does it make sense in the Naruto scheme of thing... No but I couldn't really care.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.