Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Qualitative or Quantitative?  (Read 9644 times)

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Qualitative or Quantitative?
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »

Well, everyone's got their own unique RP style, and I just decided to make this topic to see what people like to do. Are you the kind of RPer that likes to have numbers everywhere (quantitative) or would you rather describe the actions vividly (qualitative).

No picking on people just because they might not agree with you, remember that. Personally, I'm more of a qualitative kind of player. I feel that when people try to use numbers, the numbers either seem too abstract of just too silly for me. The sense of scale is a hard thing to approach here, and more people seem to opt for the 'bigger/more is better' thing when it comes to the numbers. I remember one of the first things I saw when I came here was someone claiming to make a sound that was over 1,000,000 decibels and I just thought it was a bit funny because the decibel scale doesn't work like that.

Sure, I think in some cases numbers might be okay, but for the most part I try to stay away from them unless I'm RPing with someone I know is a number-lover. So, what are other people's opinions? I'd really like to read them :)
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Mei

• View Profile
Re: Qualitative or Quantitative?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »

I'm a number person because some things need to be "expressed". And I like to RP in the realm of logic & reasoning.

For example, if I shoot an arrow at point blank range. Some people believe that they can still dodge when in fact it's not possible. Average speed of an arrow is 80 meter per second. Fastest reaction time humanly possible is 1/10 of a second. In 1/100 of a second, the arrow already traveled 2.6 feet, that's almost 1 meter. Even 5/100 of a second, the arrow already traveled 13 feet, that's 3.96 meters. No way you're dodging this arrow.

I even use numbers for distance and sometimes speed, so I have a clear picture of where things are.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »

It's funny because I was a better rper a year ago or something. I'm very lazy now so I tend to drop only the bare minimum of words. But onto the question...

Before I can answer that, let me just say I used to RP quite a bit with a girl about two years ago. The way she used to RP is that she stated her actions and then described her characters emotions. She was qualitative. Fast forward a year and I picked up her quirks: I do my  actions but I also describe my internal dialogue and what leads me to do such actions.

I like to also drop  numbers down since that's how I think logically even though I suck at math.

So I'm a bit of both but I lost the ability to type of ton of stuff.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »

Before I can answer that, let me just say I used to RP quite a bit with a girl about two years ago. The way she used to RP is that she stated her actions and then described her characters emotions. She was qualitative. Fast forward a year and I picked up her quirks: I do my  actions but I also describe my internal dialogue and what leads me to do such actions.

Really? I would like to read some of that RP. I'm always open to change so I wouldn't mind picking up a few things if I feel it would make me a better RPer. o.o

Now that I think about it, I would usually start my post with how I feel about the outcome of my previous attack. >.>

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »

But with the arrow example, what about those people who say that their heightened reactions (being a ninja) allow them to dodge them? Even something near-lightspeed can be dodged when you're a ninja. Do numbers really matter in that instance? Let's say you're face-to-face with someone and blow yourself up? Does it really matter if the explosion has a 100 feet or 100 km radius? Either way, no one SHOULD be able to dodge it...But people still will. That's why I feel that if I'm playing with someone that uses numbers (no matter how silly/arbitrary their numbers might be) then I'll use numbers too.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:30 AM »

I use both myself. I feel numbers have a place when stating an exact distance, radius, and number of things such as throwing three kunia. And I also like to put a lot of detail into my post as well.

And yeah I'd have to argue that Rock Lee could dodge an arrow. In the Naruto verse people are super human. Although a normal human perhaps could not these guys coud.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »

But with the arrow example, what about those people who say that their heightened reactions (being a ninja) allow them to dodge them? Even something near-lightspeed can be dodged when you're a ninja. Do numbers really matter in that instance? Let's say you're face-to-face with someone and blow yourself up? Does it really matter if the explosion has a 100 feet or 100 km radius? Either way, no one SHOULD be able to dodge it...But people still will. That's why I feel that if I'm playing with someone that uses numbers (no matter how silly/arbitrary their numbers might be) then I'll use numbers too.

I sorta keep RP and Zoning separate. When I zone, I'm much more calculated and not as 'internal' as I would be when I'm rping.

Really? I would like to read some of that RP. I'm always open to change so I wouldn't mind picking up a few things if I feel it would make me a better RPer. o.o

Now that I think about it, I would usually start my post with how I feel about the outcome of my previous attack. >.>

Like I said, I'm super, super lazy to rp sometimes, haha.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:15 AM »

I have no magic formula, I just do whatever feels right for said character in said situation. For example my kid char may be a 'Hollah .w.', while his dad would be a more reserved, descriptive greeting.

Only things I do tend to stick to though, are no l33t or chatspeak, and metric system over imperial, or whatever the thing feet and all that belong.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »

I'm very go with the flow. If the situation would call for exact measurements, then that's what I gotta put. if it would call for a good description of what was going to happen opposed to how large the AOE is, then I will describe it to the best of my ability.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »

And yeah I'd have to argue that Rock Lee could dodge an arrow. In the Naruto verse people are super human. Although a normal human perhaps could not these guys coud.

Technically speaking, anyone can dodge an arrow if you're at certain distance away from the archer and what am about to say does not involve the use of chakra, but only physical training.

People need to understand that Shinobi ≠ Superman. I wouldn't even compare them to 'Super Soldier' honestly because Super Soldier have certain enhancements/drugs in them. I would compare them to professional athletes because they train hard to push their body to the outmost limit. From Naruto Wikia, "Shinobi have noticeably more physical capabilities than a normal human being." >.>

Also, watching Mythbusters putting some these 'ninja myths' to the test was interesting to watch.
The arrow segment is near the end. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mp94b

For example, you can train all day for many years, you will reach a plateau that you can never surpass. For example, it is theorize that a human can run as fast as 17.88 meters per second. Although the fastest record actually held is 10 meters per second.

Again, being a ninja doesn't mean you're Superman.

If something is near-lightspeed (which there isn't), you cannot dodge it. The fastest jutsu is FTG and I don't even think that's near-lightspeed.
Well the explosion is not instant. Even Deidara needed some time to blow himself up so you would still have time to escape. >.>

The numbers I use are realistic. I do research. These are not random numbers pulled out of the dirt. But of course, there are people that will use ridiculous numbers and you would have no choice but to match their ridiculousness. However, I would comment/pm the person about it afterwards and continue the RP. Like taking a jutsu that is seen to cover a certain range and then extend that range to a huge amount. Unless you're in Sage Mode, I feel that's uncalled for. >.>

At the end of the day, if you carefully strategize what you feel to be a perfect attack (that may or may not bring certain death to an opponent) that should be undodgeable and your opponent went to EXTREME lengths to dodge it, then that means the opponent will most likely dodge everything else you will throw regardless. Granted that, the opponent have dodged all of your previous attacks up to that point. I can live with the opponent taking a hit that may or may not be critical but to dodge the attack entirely, I would just stop the match. No point continuing. =/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:13:04 PM by Mei »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »

Is the firing of an arrow faster than Amateratsu? If not, then shunshin + lightning release armor full speed + anything else can definitely dodge it, even at point blank range. Especially if movement starts before you actually release the arrow (you have to draw the bow back and all).

I use numbers for precision when necessary, but extremelly ridiculous numbers need a qualatative backing, or else your opponent, quarry, whatever, might not be able to grasp just how fast/powerful etc. it really is.

The speed of light is pretty fast, but aside from evocation, hiraishin is around that kind of fast. So you would have the same effect if you simply stated that it would require something the speed of hiraishin to dodge either the numerical statement or as the statement, breaking out numbers only if further justification is needed.

Totally feeling Genesis though, in a standard RP, qualitative all the way. If it's zoning, more of the numbers gotta be used since how big your fighting space is (among other things) is actually pretty important.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »

Is the firing of an arrow faster than Amateratsu? If not, then shunshin + lightning release armor full speed + anything else can definitely dodge it, even at point blank range. Especially if movement starts before you actually release the arrow (you have to draw the bow back and all).

I use numbers for precision when necessary, but extremelly ridiculous numbers need a qualatative backing, or else your opponent, quarry, whatever, might not be able to grasp just how fast/powerful etc. it really is.

The speed of light is pretty fast, but aside from evocation, hiraishin is around that kind of fast. So you would have the same effect if you simply stated that it would require something the speed of hiraishin to dodge either the numerical statement or as the statement, breaking out numbers only if further justification is needed.

Totally feeling Genesis though, in a standard RP, qualitative all the way. If it's zoning, more of the numbers gotta be used since how big your fighting space is (among other things) is actually pretty important.

Eric, I think you missed the point where I mentioned "...and what am about to say does not involve the use of chakra, but only physical training."

All of those things you mentioned requires chakra. >.>
I don't know about shunshin, but of course lightning release armor (LRA) can dodge it.
But I don't think people understand WHY LRA can dodge it. LRA grants the user insane reaction speed/time. http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Release_Chakra_Mode

FTG is limited to the user's own reaction speed. The move itself is fast but you need to react fast enough to use it. Just look at A vs Minato or Obito vs Minato. If Minato activated FTG any later, he would lose.

In regards to 'Is the firing of an arrow faster than Amateratsu?', considering that your eyes can see a few miles ahead, then depending on the distance/speed, I would say no.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

Eric, I think you missed the point where I mentioned "...and what am about to say does not involve the use of chakra, but only physical training."

All of those things you mentioned requires chakra. >.>
I don't know about shunshin, but of course lightning release armor (LRA) can dodge it.
But I don't think people understand WHY LRA can dodge it. LRA grants the user insane reaction speed/time. http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Release_Chakra_Mode

FTG is limited to the user's own reaction speed. The move itself is fast but you need to react fast enough to use it. Just look at A vs Minato or Obito vs Minato. If Minato activated FTG any later, he would lose.

In regards to 'Is the firing of an arrow faster than Amateratsu?', considering that your eyes can see a few miles ahead, then depending on the distance/speed, I would say no.

I indeed missed that. However, if chakra is not involved, then it is not "ninja" (as far as narutoverse rules go). Much of what Lee and Gai could do could be feasibly done in real life (just short of the 8 gates techniques).

Taking chakra completely out of the equation is not really feasible in a world where chakra is practically your life force and more, but without chakra, it would still depend on when the target decides to start dodging. If they dodge after the arrow is loosed, okay, a bit late unless they use hiraishin or something, but if they start dodging (or even counter) while you're drawing, it still seems reasonable to be able to dodge.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »

I indeed missed that. However, if chakra is not involved, then it is not "ninja" (as far as narutoverse rules go). Much of what Lee and Gai could do could be feasibly done in real life (just short of the 8 gates techniques).

Taking chakra completely out of the equation is not really feasible in a world where chakra is practically your life force and more, but without chakra, it would still depend on when the target decides to start dodging. If they dodge after the arrow is loosed, okay, a bit late unless they use hiraishin or something, but if they start dodging (or even counter) while you're drawing, it still seems reasonable to be able to dodge.

The thing about chakra is that normally you're not expelling any.
And to even use chakra you would have to meld some first. Depending on how much you need, it may take some time.

Going back to the situation of shooting an arrow at point blank range.
You don't have FTG, you're not in LRA, how can you dodge?

I can understand if you're some distance away from the arrow and you dodge by avoiding the line of fire prior to the release of the arrow. However, at point blank range, you're a pretty big target.
Sure, they are probably other ways/jutsus to dodge the arrow but then it comes down to reaction time and as I stated earlier, fastest reaction time possible is 1/10 of a second. In 1/100 of second, the arrow already traveled almost 1 yard.  >.>

This is the type of 'realness' I am looking for. At least when I dodge my opponent's attack, I explain the reasoning behind it, instead simply just dodging it. Because who's to say that the opponent is feeling a certain way of you dodging an attack that s/he feels was unavoidable. >.>

And for obvious reasons, taijutsu (and bukijutsu) is faster than ninjutsu. Yet every once in a while, you may see a person throw up hand-signs as you are throwing a punch within close proximity of the other person. It's just makes you wanna scratch my head. (・_・)ゞ゛

Remember this is situational, an archer, by nature, would fire an arrow from a distance anyway.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:05:33 PM by Mei »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

The thing about chakra is that normally you're not expelling any.
And to even use chakra you would have to meld some first. Depending on how much you need, it may take some time.

Going back to the situation of shooting an arrow at point blank range.
You don't have FTG, you're not in LRA, how can you dodge?

The trick is to not be where the arrow is going to be flying at the time of it flying. Presuming that shinobi even without the sharingan and such factors can predictably determine that their opponent is going for a shoulder shot (hypothetically speaking, in real life you would probably go for center body) if you can outpace the aiming of your quarry, then regardless of the speed of the arrow, when they loose the shot, you can theoretically avoid being shot in the shoulder by no longer being in place your quarry is aiming at.

That is more "make 'em miss" than "dodge", but the two are pretty blurry. If said archer is going for center body then, without using chakra or special enhancements, a more practical approach (at point blank range) would be to mess with the the aiming of the shooter.

But we're talking just dodge here, so presuming the archer's aiming is just as fast as (or faster than) the movement of the target (shinobi vs shinobi, pretty likely), is aiming for the most likely to hit part of the opponent's body (center body, rather than an extremity), and is not interrupted in any fashion, then just sheer bodily speed alone (which the two share) is not enough to dodge the arrow.

Since in SL "i'm just as fast if not fast enough" is a common trait, then it would be a tough selling point to dodge if all of those aforementioned factors are in play (speeds are the same, neither side is trying any tricks or using chakra *and center body is the target).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:06:33 PM by Eric »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 16 queries.