Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shinobi Legends Profile Wikipedia  (Read 5704 times)

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
Shinobi Legends Profile Wikipedia
« on: November 14, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »

Hello! I am a staff member on the server we all play on, Shinobi Legends. This topic is generally about the newly created Profile Wikipedia which is in it's beginning stages and I want to hear any input that you the fellow players may have.
The general set-up of this new Wikipedia will be different from the old set-up by Yumei as I will choose a player from each of the major villages to moderate their respective pages: including Whirlpool Country.
You the players will decide amongst who will get these moderation abilities on there, I implore that any village leaders give their choice or decide amongst themselves who will be given this position.

This new set-up will be slightly different from Yumei's and moderation will be a priority, meaning that if any players violate any of the rules, you will be given the appropriate punishment accordingly.
I also implore that you help out your fellow players on this new Wikipedia and generally don't cause drama over trivial things: such as Tailed Beasts.

If you feel that this new Wikipedia isn't a thing for you or isn't really necessary. Make your voice be heard and give your input! I am open to any suggestions that you may have and I'll respond to you in a professional manner.  :D

PS: Here is the new link for the Shinobi Legends Profile Wikipedia!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:35:17 PM by Camel »

Bocchiere

• View Profile
Re: Shinobi Legends Profile Wikpedia
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »

I think we should all just go back to hosting our bios and such on awful .webs sites.

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shinobi Legends Profile Wikpedia
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »

I think we should all just go back to hosting our bios and such on awful webs sites.

We could but creating your own temporary website has it's negatives as their is a bandwidth limit on most freehosting websites. Generally you will have to pay more upsize your bandwidth limit and I am sure that it is a hassle to pay for an extra 500MB of bandwidth when inputting the data onto that particular server, this limit is something that has too be taken into consideration. Since I am sure no one wants to wait a month to input the rest of their data for that particular profile on their freewebs site.
Positive things about creating your website is you won't have to deal with overzealous players messing up your profile unless they figure out a way around it through editing tools that actually come with Firefox and Chrome.  :evil: (Freewebs has a limit of 500MB a month.)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: Shinobi Legends Profile Wikipedia
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

The free webs and other such sites do have problems. I already maxed out Kay's old outdated one I need to fix one of these days.

1] I think moving all the content I have put on the profiles wikia will be a huge pain to move.

2] Why not just create a new claimed page on profiles there and lock it to keep wiki-vandals from striking?

3] I like having the old players' pages who left SL and are no longer a part of our community...seeing their information stored as our collective history. That will all be gone if profiles wikia is abandoned.

4] I think waiting to have my things approved...and I am not sure about this approval issue...will literally kill me. I have time to do stuff when I have time to do it...not on someone else's schedule...which will surely delay the issue.

5] I think we need less spin off separations and more reasons to come together.

These are my objections...and suggestions, respectfully submitted as requested. I have sent the pm out as a clan mail without additional comment from myself.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »

Well going back to making sure there are no trivial arguments or any of that, a list of rules should be created to mitigate this. Such as respect others as you would like to be respected, or cyber bullying will not be tolerated. The issue with some things is that people bully others and then think nothing is gonna happen to them.

To simply put more into question about what Kay has for #4, basically will these moderators be given the ability to approve rather than one person holding all that power? Greatly increasing efficiency to make sure things are done in a timely manner would keep from having a back log.

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired"

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »

hmm...
I don't think we have a link on the SL mainpage that directs users to the wiki, do we?

If not, any objections for that to be done?

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »

1] It will and it won't be. The only problem that will generally be a pain to some users on here is importing the data on pictures, ogg files for characters and vice-versa. Character profiles can generally be copied and paste onto the new set-up. (Which is in its alpha stages at this moment)

2] I thought I addressed this before but if I haven't, please excuse me for not doing so. SpecialUsers rights must be given by that Administrator on that particular Wikipedia. Yumei's current set-up has only one administrator and his status as the profile wiki administrator is unknown at this point. I haven't heard from him nor do I think he actually cares for the server anymore; real life usually triumphs over playing on this server.

3] If it's a problem of sentimentality that is of no problem to me. I generally implore that those hopping on to the new set-up help each other out and incorporating the old history of most of the old veterans on here can be done discreetly or through your own means of doing so. I won't censor nor chastise you for adding onto this new set-up. I encourage that you do so. :)

4] The idea is that one *active* player from each of the respective major villages: including Otogakure and Uzushiogakure will be given specialuser rights for moderation and will generally be responsible for their own respective pages. Rules will be introduced and any new users on there will be allowed to approve their own character profile set-up. (I'll try to do some editing for the main page itself when I get Windows 10 out of my system. :P)

5] This page will not be a 'spin-off' nor a branch off the old set-up by Yumei. I made this site so that we could have some moderation in our own creations of the character profiles and etc. Meaning no one would be allowed to edit your pages without proper consent. :)

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »

THANK YOU. I love this and props to the staff for taking RP more seriously now. Sure, there might be some problems with this, but taking steps to a moderated space is exactly what I wanted. This is like...the legit wikia.

Also, while many people may have various opinions on this person, a huge thank you to Yumei. The dude took it into his own hands to make a pretty wikia on his own years ago and revolutionized the bio game. Sure, it was unofficial and people had problems with it, but no one can't ignore that almost EVERYONE used the wikia to host their characters and claims. While he isn't here anymore, props to Yumei. Gotta give credit where it's due.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:43:24 PM by Genesis »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 12:16:10 AM »

1] It is a ton of work. I know of no way to go through like by page numbers to ensure that all the content gets moved.

2] I did not know that a person could not lock their own page so that general members could not edit it.

3] Do you mean that we would go through and move everything over? I would of course help with that chore. To keep things straight a tag line at the top of each page could be added to indicate it has already been included on the new site.

4] It may take more than one active person from all the villages. You take that active RPer on SL and add this huge undertaking to their work load and SL RP activity will decline. "Sorry...can't post right now, I have to go do this wikia edit thing."

5] Self-moderation for our own bios and history is nice. But do I have to have approval of the powers I claim for my character? Or is the purpose to stop vandalism of other people's work and to stop the claiming of the same bijuu or special canon item by numerous people? My use of the term spin off...was to describe splitting of the community. I have reservations that we will not all be together. I don't want us further divided and against each other pointing to yumei's profiles or pointing to yours as the guidelines to go by. If we could all gather at one place...I would work my fingers off to make the move.

Many people come to me who do not have skills to edit the wikia to create them pages, or who are not able to get the wikia to let them edit their own pages for some reason or other. glitches happen.
This would not permit those sort of aids to be given any longer to assist people in bio creations as editing of other's works would now cease. Both good and bad?

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 12:51:20 AM »

The biggest obstacle about this wouldn't be moving everything over. That's just simple copy+paste. It would actually be creating an infobox that would look good and accurate for RP, while at the same time creating a special form for people to fill out for the infobox and work well.

For example, there's a part I and II sub-section for some sections of our current infobox. SL doesn't really have a part I or II at all, as for as I know.

And I believe some pages do require some moderation approval for editing, such as some rules, guideline, Tailed Beast pages, etc.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »

I don't really see the need to migrate everything from one site to the other. The only issues have been the tailed beast list which can be solved by not having one. They were voided so the list is meaningless anyway. Sometimes the claimed list creates issues so if we want to make a new site just for that sure knock yourself out?

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 01:43:43 AM »

Ok...it has taken me one hour to transfer all the photos from my page alone, to copy paste the text, and to publish.

As you can see, so far...the info text box is nonfunctional as are my photos within that sections which serve as avatars. Additionally, I will now have to create a page for each and every red/dead link on the new site before it is complete.

Within the infobox are countless jutsu pages that will also have to be created, jutsu headers that have to be created, and the KG icon for my Hizashigan that has to be created...special note...I can't do that period. I don't know how to do icons for KG or clans that fit into the info box, Kage had to do that...it take a program I do not have.

I anticipate a full week on my page alone in order to get it to be what it already is. I do understand that over time these pages will be created and so the dead links, the jutsu listings for the info box, will all one day come to be created.

But I do hope this demonstrates it is no small task...much more than copy paste and ta da we are done.

http://shinobi-legends.wikia.com/wiki/Kayenta_Moenkopi

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 07:34:39 AM »

Hey, as it turns out there is a process in place for wiki's where the staff goes inactive. It's called "adopting" the wiki.

http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Adoption_requests

So let's just do that instead of making an all new site.

Since there is more than one active member we are supposed to make a discussion post on the wiki for the Wiki Overlords to see and let it run for a week. If we can meet a consensus then the admin rights will be transferred to a new person and we don't need to make a new anything.

http://narutoprofile.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:15168
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:49:24 AM by Bocchiere »

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 01:00:23 AM »

Gonna pitch a curve ball here.

What about the original and official Shinobi Legends Wiki? Any way we just use that to make it all official and what not hosted by the actual site and apply RP sections so players can create profiles and game-related topics and pages? I think that's also a nice idea to throw out there. Instead of just making a whole new wikia, making 3 total wikia's that are shinobi legends related. Needless to say it was already mentioned that by moving to a new one, those who aren't 'up with the times' might continually go to the former and be outdated with what is currently going on. The adoption thought sounds good, I think whoever is up for the task at hand to regulate and moderate the wikia to a community consensus should go ahead and try to get this going. We need a good sweep around here with the whole he said she said conspiracy theories.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 02:33:31 AM »

Gonna pitch a curve ball here.

What about the original and official Shinobi Legends Wiki? Any way we just use that to make it all official and what not hosted by the actual site and apply RP sections so players can create profiles and game-related topics and pages? I think that's also a nice idea to throw out there. Instead of just making a whole new wikia, making 3 total wikia's that are shinobi legends related. Needless to say it was already mentioned that by moving to a new one, those who aren't 'up with the times' might continually go to the former and be outdated with what is currently going on. The adoption thought sounds good, I think whoever is up for the task at hand to regulate and moderate the wikia to a community consensus should go ahead and try to get this going. We need a good sweep around here with the whole he said she said conspiracy theories.

Would need to have a segragated area for RP, but that's an interesting take on things. Additionally, we might would need approval from whoever manages it (I presume Neji) to make edits.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.