Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Discussion] Should Hunters/Champions be forced to create a Bio?  (Read 4470 times)

Eric

• View Profile
[Discussion] Should Hunters/Champions be forced to create a Bio?
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »

Should hunters and champions be forced to create a biography that basically outlines their character in full, and keep it up to date?

If people want people to start justifying their powers with some history or even RP, then a bio sounds like the most convenient way to go about that. This bio could be biju-rules specific or simply a link to a regular SL bio.

What do you all think?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Hitler-Chan

• Moshi Moshi Adolf Desu~
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] Should Hunters/Champions be forced to create a Bio?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »

Should hunters and champions be forced to create a biography that basically outlines their character in full, and keep it up to date?

If people want people to start justifying their powers with some history or even RP, then a bio sounds like the most convenient way to go about that. This bio could be biju-rules specific or simply a link to a regular SL bio.

What do you all think?

While I don't think people should be forced to write Telanovela's to justify all of their powers, as some of us have things that date back further than our pubic hair, I do think a basic basic write up would certainly help.
They say there is a strength in numbers, well, tell that to 6 Million Jews.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

I do not think that total disclosure should be mandatory. Some basics are nice to refer to, but even bingo books would not have all tricks listed that a warrior has up their sleeves.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 01:03:23 AM »

Yes, at least something basic.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:27:42 AM »

What are basics though? Where is the line between basic and advanced? Custom techniques I feel should always have some kind of outlining somewhere (or else risk them being considered asspulls).
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 01:30:29 AM »

What are basics though? Where is the line between basic and advanced? Custom techniques I feel should always have some kind of outlining somewhere (or else risk them being considered asspulls).

A form that you all should create....
Create a basic outline, and start adding/deleting. Then vote. =)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:51:32 AM by Ace »

Asadi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »

So...

Affiliation:
Chakra affinities:
Doujutsu/implant:

etc?

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:54:22 AM »

from there adding in...
Affiliation:
Chakra affinities:
Doujutsu/implant:
KG/ KT:
Custom Jutsu:
Custom KG:
Custom Weapons:
Custom Armor:
Summons:

maybe...

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 02:48:26 AM »

from there adding in...
Affiliation:
Chakra affinities:
Doujutsu/implant:
KG/ KT:
Custom Jutsu:
Custom KG:
Custom Weapons:
Custom Armor:
Summons:

maybe...

Scratch RP status and location and lump all the custom stuff under "custom" and that's the kind of list I would imagine. RP status and location would require the person to constantly update the list, which, albeit, may not be a bad thing, but might get old pretty quick if the host travels alot.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 04:55:18 AM »

from there adding in...
Affiliation:
Chakra affinities:
Doujutsu/implant:
KG/ KT:
Custom Jutsu:
Custom KG:
Custom Weapons:
Custom Armor:
Summons:

maybe...

Scratch RP status and location and lump all the custom stuff under "custom" and that's the kind of list I would imagine. RP status and location would require the person to constantly update the list, which, albeit, may not be a bad thing, but might get old pretty quick if the host travels alot.

I'd say keep them. A host should be active enough to keep that updated. It takes but a moment to log in and change that tad bit of info. I would also say make a ruling that this be keep up to date.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »

Keep in mind that this 'bio' one is creating could be on the person's profile page, so it can't be too long.

So I agree with Eric.
Uetto, all that info will be on the host's forum thread anyway. No need for redundancy.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »

Oh.

You mean to be housed on the SL bio? That sure is finite. I know I would not wish to be required to take out the things I want to include to fulfill some bijuu rec's. And a person could make their website link be their forum thread. But again, that removes the clickable link to a person's profile wiki page or some song they are feeling or whatever else people enjoy putting in their web page slot.

I was thinking that a bio could be part of their forum thread.

Hmmm...many of my character's have maxed the character limit on their SL bio page.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »

I for one can clearly say no way is this fitting in SL-bio, because some people like I got so much crap it'd take a long time to list.

However I'm no fan of forcing a total write-up of everything to begin with, because that's a giant bait for metagame and arguments such as 'no you're using that wrong thats not the item/tech you listed' or 'no you can't do that because you didn't word to word state every single variation'.

Perhaps a bit extreme example, but I've personally dealt with cases where one party won't even let the other swing a sword in a specific manner, all because they didn't list a technique specifically for it.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »

Keep in mind that this 'bio' one is creating could be on the person's profile page, so it can't be too long.

So I agree with Eric.
Uetto, all that info will be on the host's forum thread anyway. No need for redundancy.

Maybe a brief version, but the full version should be here on the forum because of how lengthy it could possibly be.

I for one can clearly say no way is this fitting in SL-bio, because some people like I got so much crap it'd take a long time to list.

However I'm no fan of forcing a total write-up of everything to begin with, because that's a giant bait for metagame and arguments such as 'no you're using that wrong thats not the item/tech you listed' or 'no you can't do that because you didn't word to word state every single variation'.

Perhaps a bit extreme example, but I've personally dealt with cases where one party won't even let the other swing a sword in a specific manner, all because they didn't list a technique specifically for it.

Well, that's the point of writing up your stuff before using it. So that people can't claim that you just whipped out some custom item or technique completely out of thin air. It is supposed to be fairly exhaustive on what can be done with said item. Heck, my shadow imitation custom list is pretty long, but except for explicit ways to counter them, I outline the properties of the techniques so that peeps who bother to view the profile know that I didn't just come up with it on the spot or something of that sort.

Of course, there are certain extremes, but by and large that's kind of the point of listing out custom stuff, metagame threats be damned.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:38 PM »

The point?

I do not think so. Item creation during a match certainly is not possible, but jutsu variation within a match is reasonable. It is through use and inspiration that we customize our jutsu.

Be that as it may; another point over which to contest...at another time.

Warren does make a valid point. "You didn't say your blade could be swung like that...you have no sword tech listed for that move so you can't do that." This is something I have run into myself.

You must admit that some jutsu/techs are quite minuscule in the variations they set forth. I won't bore you with 600 examples but just looking at suiton alone we have the following:
  • Suiton: Mizurappa

Now according to Narutopedia...and curse them forever for removing the jutsu lists: may they burn in hell and be cursed with incurable itching...this could refer to 2 separate techniques.
1] Water Release: Water Trumpet, as used by Kurotsuchi [The user launches a large jet of water from their mouth through their hand. This gives the appearance of playing a trumpet, hence the name.]
2] Water Release: Wild Water Wave, as used by Yahiko [The Water Release: Wild Water Wave is a basic Water Release technique which has many variations. Water gushes from the user's mouth like a waterfall and washes away the enemy. One can freely control the power of this technique with the amount chakra one releases.]

Now if I list Water Trumpet, but not Wild Water Wave...and have the water pour from my mouth but not focused through my hand, then will my opponent start having seizures and frothing at the mouth in his rush to make accusations that I am pulling stuff out my butt? I use mouth ejection for Kay's means of suiton use or through her palm, but you get my meaning. One arbitrary discrepancy in the countless bazillion we could demonstrate.

Now what about each and every variation of a technique?
  • Suiton: Daikōdan no Jutsu [Water Release: Great Shark Bullet Technique] then its parent jutsu
  • Suiton: Suikōdan no Jutsu [Water Release: Water Shark Bullet Technique]

What about stupid things like a jutsu to spit bullet sized projectile, and then one to spit tennis ball sized projectiles, and another to spit basketball sized projectiles? It could really be tedious. And do I really need a new name for each water projectile I create? Cause they are out there. All 600 of them. and many come with more than one name.

Why not rather permit generalization...list 'Suiton User', and cut out the minutia?

OR RATHER...

will we be getting into the realm of listing justu, how many each person can have, standard descriptions and names for each one, and policing each and every aspect of everyone's RP? I don't have the time, do you?

I feel that mentioning Kay uses suiton and doton is heads up enough. Expect her to be good at it. The end.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 17 queries.