Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The IC Hunt [Discussion]  (Read 3870 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
The IC Hunt [Discussion]
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:18:12 PM »

We need to have in place a set of rules to follow for people who wish to be hunted in RP rather than accept OOC challenges.

We have been accommodating to all manner of things here: Bijuu as summons, Hosting more than one beast. It is unacceptable to say no to role play, to throw our hands up in the air and saying it's too hard, it causes too many fights, and making all kinds of excuses for failing to define this issue - as though we are not smart enough to figure it out - and summarily voiding this option to being a host. That way of thinking, in and of itself, is biased and a cop out. It is no more difficult to accomplish than any other roll playing combat situation.

I propose rather than using this discussion to raise objections, to fuss and feud and name call, that we start with a basic precept:

The option to refuse OOC challenges and be hunted through roll play is acceptable.

Now. Starting with that notion, to move on to how we make it work, instead of solely focusing upon why it won't. Why do we even have an activity clause that includes making a public post if being in RP makes no difference? IF challenges are not part of the RP?

I propose the following set of criteria.

1] A host/summoner/owner must make a public role playing post at least once every 14 days and is subject to all the normal rules. They do not have to post a challenger list but must maintain an activity thread on the forum for all other purposes listed in the forum account clause.
2] Acceptable public locations include village boards, the gardens, and all general access zones. They do not include restricted access villages [Hoshigakure], dwellings, restricted access zones [Sannin and Kage level], private zones, forest access boards [the curry shop, the bijuu resting meadow], and sub-boards of the gardens [the bar, the meadows, the game room].
3] These hosts are subject to character death. However, they may flea from a fight, as running away is a valid RP option. If running away is done, the attempt and successful getaway cannot occur in the same post. The host must make another public post within 1 day.
4] In the interest of simplicity and timeliness, hunters can be of any number but only one person can do the actual fight. As such, the host is the only player who can defend himself. All other character player participants in the RP serve a supplementary aspect and may not engage in actual combat. Once a host is engaged in battle, no other character can interrupt the match to make an attempt at stealing the bijuu or saving the host.
5] Supplementary player characters are useful in employing hunting techniques that the challenging player character does not possess. Acceptable techniques to be employed while hunting for a host include: bijuu chakra sensing, AND WHAT ELSE? Unacceptable techniques that may not be employed while hunting for a host include: Telescopic Technique, AND WHAT ELSE?
6] Hunters may not use information obtained out of character and out of context to roll play for finding the host. No metagaming.
7] Be advised that the downside of choosing this option means that all your story lines are subject to being driven by your life as a host. You will not be permitted to complete current role play but risk the interruption by hunters wherever you go and whatever you do.

To deny a host to roll play their character's life as a jinhcuuriki is denying roll play. Is a form of character control. So are OOC fight. Due to circumstances outside of roll play by character, after losing, one is no longer a host in character and this seriously messes up the story line you are currently running. For the host and EVERYONE else involved.

HOWEVER, we are permitting people to take the OOC route. IF we do that, since we do that, it is biased to deny a host to take the IC route. What is fair is fair for both sides, not just one.

Eric

• View Profile
Re: The IC Hunt [Discussion]
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

These hosts are subject to character death. However, they may flea from a fight, as running away is a valid RP option.

Any host with a space-time ninjutsu is going to flee the moment things get real hairy if given the chance. Since we want to discourage hunters from god-modding to try to prevent this, I think we need some more guidelines under what conditions the host can up and run away from the fight.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 04:08:50 AM »

I was hesitant to touch that due to vascilating on the issue.

on the one hand I don't think running should be an option, though it is a valid rp strategy. It makes sense to retreat from battle and this is a storyline event, not an ooc match. About to lose my life, do i just stay for some OOC reason? Its against the rules to run away? ROLF
no, I book it fast as I can however I can.

So if it makes sense to my storyline, then why am I denied the most effective power to save my butt that I possess? Because of another OOC reason? my opponent might be forced to God mod to stop me and win the fight?

You see my dilemma?

Do we void space time jutsu for jinchuuriki? Do we ban retreating from battle for jinchuuriki?

Again, I am divided here. The purpose of the IC hunt is to promote the host sticking to storyline, to RP. But then we are going to character control the possible outcomes?

I don't know. There might have to be some compromises to the purity of storyline in order to just get this thing to work.

Thoughts?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 11:04:43 PM »

Well, I will speak for personal preference. If Eric is faced with a hunter he doesn't think he can easily beat (not beat with a heavy fight, EASILY beat) he would not even bother trying to fight, he would leave the battle (recall the dessert Temple event? Eric would have fought if Kayenta were in danger, but if they were just there for the beast he would have booked it, similar to him leaving KT because he didn't want to endanger the individuals there. I cite those a evidence for that characterization claim).

I stick with the goal, no matter how annoying it may be (you can ask Rares on that one). If I'm being hunted, then it is my objective to not get caught; therefore, if possible, I will simply avoid the fight altogether.

I know, that sounds terrible, but to make up for me not wanting to lose my main character's life I made OOC my preferred style. A win-win, I get to keep my character's life and hunters get their fight(s).

Anyways, I have digressed somewhat. The point of the IC battle from what I've read is to have them RP, not per say stick to a storyline. Additionally, an OOC restriction on a character is not entirely out of whack of the norm (Iss our characters re-creating hiraishin or even Edo tensei really a RP obstacle or an OOC obstacle where the number of users is limited?).

Taking all that time and pain to hunt down the jinchurikii, get through whatever hoops may or may not be on fire by a conflicting RP standard, only to have the jinch flee the fight just on the cusp of victory by using space-time ninjutsu.

I am firmly of the belief that flight in general should be banned, but simply banning using space-time ninjutsu to completely escape the fight seems like a compromise.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:28:51 AM »

Only other way would be to encourage the use of anti space time barriers, which I don't like because I don't believe they're actually possible, an explicit ability of kamui is that it can get around any barrier and I feel like if there was such a technique it would have been a lot easier to throw a bubble over obito and then kill him rather defeating the technique by sheer coincidence. If kakashi had died or lost his eye obito would have beaten them all.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »

Only other way would be to encourage the use of anti space time barriers, which I don't like because I don't believe they're actually possible, an explicit ability of kamui is that it can get around any barrier and I feel like if there was such a technique it would have been a lot easier to throw a bubble over obito and then kill him rather defeating the technique by sheer coincidence. If kakashi had died or lost his eye obito would have beaten them all.

Space-time ninjutsu (other than summoning technique) were very rare in the canon universe. An anti-space-time ninjutsu barrier would have been extremely rare, but should have probably cropped up around the time of the 3rd Great Shinobi war. Only catch is that most of Minato's foes were unaware of just how he moved so fast during that particular conflict.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:46:31 AM »

Space-time ninjutsu (other than summoning technique) were very rare in the canon universe. An anti-space-time ninjutsu barrier would have been extremely rare, but should have probably cropped up around the time of the 3rd Great Shinobi war. Only catch is that most of Minato's foes were unaware of just how he moved so fast during that particular conflict.

Which makes me think, and I have been thinking about this all day today, if any village could have made an anti-space time barrier it would have been Konoha. Recall that, while Sasuke is fighting Itachi, Tobi is stalling the Konoha team. During that encounter Kakashi has already surmised that Tobi is letting attacks slip through him with some kind of space-time technique, in fact his idea that Tobi is teleporting parts of his body away is actually exactly what he was doing. They then leave. Kakashi knows that they are going to have to deal with Tobi again because he knows that he's an Akatsuki member and they want Naruto. This is still a good deal of time before the war.

Now if anyone does know about how powerful space-time jutsu can be it is Kakashi, he was Minato's student after all. Now fast-forward to the Shinobi World War. Kakashi has NO PLAN for defeating Tobi. He coincidentally noticed that an attack warped away by Kamui hit Tobi while he was intangible. That's how they stop his unbeatable technique. Luck.

"After an exchange of attacks, of which Kakashi blocks Tobi's with Kamui, Kakashi notices some slight damage to Tobi's mask. Having a theory about this, he has Guy and Naruto help him test it and is ultimately able to confirm: attacks warped away with Kamui at the same moment that Tobi is impervious will damage Tobi, thereby suggesting a link between their abilities. "

So, while the lack of something does not prove anything, I think it is EXTREMELY unlikely that something such as a time-space barrier is possible because if there were ANY way to inhibit such jutsu Kakashi would have had something prepared for the inevitable rematch with Tobi.

I also believe that there are no canon barriers that effect things within them like an anti space-time barrier does. Barriers are either sensing, straight up walls, or things that have some kind of effect when you pass through or disrupt them. I do not believe there are any canon barriers with effects like, "Everything within this barrier is effected by so and so."

So that's my stop using anti time space barriers spiel.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »

Me thinks the total interruption of the ongoing plot, if you are found, might be a bigger issue than the flight or fight question tho. I mean, say me and whoever are duking it out with some bad guy over the literal fate of the world, it would make basically zero sense to expect either party to just obediently drop it if some hopeful showed up in between and went 'no no, stop it, I want my fight now'.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »

... I also believe that there are no canon barriers that effect things within them like an anti space-time barrier does. Barriers are either sensing, straight up walls, or things that have some kind of effect when you pass through or disrupt them. I do not believe there are any canon barriers with effects like, "Everything within this barrier is effected by so and so."...

Earth Release Barrier: Earth Prison Dome of Magnificent Nothingness (absorbs chakra within the earthen barrier)

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Four_Violet_Flames_Formation (prevents a soul from escaping the barrier)

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Barrier:_Toad_Gourd_Prison (all inside are stuck in a different dimension-esque location)

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Genjutsu_Ball_Trap (traps all within in a genjutsu)

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Self-Repairing_Barrier (Keeps the outside world from sensing anyone inside)

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Five-Seal_Barrier (its effects are only present within the confines of the barrier).

Several canon barriers that have "everything within affected by so-and-so", even if the effect is fairly nill on certain objects or creatures.

Using a space-time ninjutsu barrier -Kamui is still classified as one- to foil another space-time ninjutsu barrier has some canon backing via the Kamui cancellation, granted, that was the same space-time jutsu cancellng itself out.

Me thinks the total interruption of the ongoing plot, if you are found, might be a bigger issue than the flight or fight question tho. I mean, say me and whoever are duking it out with some bad guy over the literal fate of the world, it would make basically zero sense to expect either party to just obediently drop it if some hopeful showed up in between and went 'no no, stop it, I want my fight now'.

RP locked is a major issue, since jinchurikii can just claim to be RP locked indefinitely in order to avoid a fight. With that in mind, we should probably set a limit on how long a jinchurikii can remain RP locked (though set it somewhat high, like maybe a month or 3 weeks or something).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:35:36 PM by Eric »

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:07 PM »

I wasn't talking RP lock, because theoretically a challenger wannabe has nothing preventing them from barging in to for example the scenario I presented as an example. Its the ability to just step in and stop and break everything without repercussions that I don't dig. Like really, if nukes are being tossed around and somebody deliberately steps in between, they should get atomized for their stupidity, not catered to.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »

I wasn't talking RP lock, because theoretically a challenger wannabe has nothing preventing them from barging in to for example the scenario I presented as an example. Its the ability to just step in and stop and break everything without repercussions that I don't dig. Like really, if nukes are being tossed around and somebody deliberately steps in between, they should get atomized for their stupidity, not catered to.

Has that ever been a thing? Yeah you can attack the host any time if it's just strictly an IC rp but if they happen the be hanging out with their gang of friendly grizzly bears then you're probably going to get mauled. I think that was the point of having to rp occasionally in public so they don't always have to go through a whole village or what have you for their challenge.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:17 PM »

Well, if the nukes don't end up going off then I don't see why the interloper should get atomized.  In particular to your example, I would rather try to pick you off while you're busy with a fight (or weakened from it) than have the whole thing step aside and I have to beat you from scratch. But that's personal preference.

Interloping should not be an offenses, rather, the timing and means of the interloping should be. If indeed said interloper interlopes in the middle of a firefight, then by RP logic they should not materialize where the bullets are unless they wanna run the risk of getting shot. Most RPers would appear on the edge of things and then interfere once getting a grasp on the situation. Think Temple RP for visualizing that.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »

-__-' I didn't meant literally get atomized no matter the way of interruption, but rather just in the context of the example if they really were that stupid. If challenger wannabe steps in between when interruption no matter what is allowed, the nukes will just go poof and suddenly the big bad will just go for tea time while host has to fight them instead.

If challenger in turn has to suffer the consequences of butting in, then they obviously can't just step in willy nilly, or as I said they'll get atomized. They have to as you said RP as would make sense from IC pov.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:32:17 PM by Warren »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:45:15 PM »

... They have to as you said RP as would make sense from IC pov.

Yes, but-

4] In the interest of simplicity and timeliness, hunters can be of any number but only one person can do the actual fight. As such, the host is the only player who can defend himself. All other character player participants in the RP serve a supplementary aspect and may not engage in actual combat. Once a host is engaged in battle, no other character can interrupt the match to make an attempt at stealing the bijuu or saving the host.

This makes things a little more complicated and contradicts the flow of the river. Since IC choosers don't want to have a challenge list, then this would mean that the combatants would have to stop fighting in order for the challenger to get the fight in.

This clause could get removed, but then thing would get kind of... sticky if alot of combatants end up getting involved.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »

I honestly think that making true IC hunt rules is a waste of time. We're trying to make a set of rules to control an infinite number of possible actions that people may do under an infinite number of scenarios. It's in trying to control that that we got the rule abusers in the first place.

If you read the current rules all they say an IC challenge is that you have to find out who the host is and then you have an rp leading into the fight, you don't get to avoid the fight they just have to actually track you down. That's all this should be. Post your evidence for knowing their identity on the forum if the host is giving you trouble about it and then you guys set up an rp and fight. If people just accepted that they might have to actually defend their bijuu half of the major problems that cropped up recently would not have occurred at all.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 17 queries.