Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Poll

Should the list be fixed?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Claimed list restructuring  (Read 11112 times)

GooshGoosh

• View Profile
Re: Claimed list restructuring
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 01:18:34 AM »

:roll: The thought of everyone getting what they want is really a turn off. The idea of SL excited me because there was this sense of...exclusivity when it came to the unique canon items that we saw in the Manga. "Only one person has Kusanagi? What? There are only nine biju amidst the entire game? This is insane...it's almost like there is a mythology about this site and people are truly unique and can have legacies linked to these claims."

Coming from the fanon where there are 11 different nine tail hosts and a million users of flying thunder god (Obvious exaggerations, but like not really) it was truly refreshing to think that the items of worth were coveted and their legends maintained despite the arguments that can revolve around them. Not only that but people still get the chance to create their own techniques and tools if they couldn't get something canon.

Of course the idea of people sitting on claims just so others can't use them is...ridiculous to say the least. It ruins the spirit of the game entirely, but it's not the case for every item. I went out and earned the Yata mirror and Kusanagi...I fought, argued and planned for hours and ended up getting what I strove for. I'm sure if I wanted, I could go out and pick some other claim and do exactly the same, I just have to be willing to endure the tribulation. Though what if one of those tools was a SSMS? Looking at the village defenses, there was no feasible way of infuriating without them inexplicably noticing me despite any and every precaution I took. They wouldn't accept challenges for them, because tools have no rules enforcing a challenge system, I'm certain they wouldn't trade for them Ect Ect. They were actively making it impossible to get their swords. I even talked to someone who was trying to get into the group, and after almost a year they still did not have a sword. What's left at that point? When all else has failed and the rules have been broken, they must be stripped.

From my experience, the claims list is not broken, and Sl's method of claims in general is not broken. It was simply one group of individuals who couldn't obey and got punished for it. EZPZ.   
"This is the way the world ends, not with a whimper but with a bang..."
― T.S. Eliot

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 07:05:03 AM »

Best way for me to dig into this conversation is to roll back to a transition post:

One must first concede the point that the claims list is broken...

Just like the biju rules were considered broken. They worked for some, didn't work for others. If the justification for the claims list being broken is the same as the justification for the old biju rules being broken (the premise is similar for those who may recall that thread chain) then the truth is less about the list being broken and more of the attitude towards the system altogether.

The claims list, for the most part, has plenty of strippable stuff (canon and filler alike) at this point to fill half a board if each one was as hotly contested as a particular few. But only a few items, the SSM and the Gedo Mazou, seem to cause great stirs because of their significance both in-game and in the world of naruto.

If the Mist lost their badges, then they need to go get those badges back. Or, knowing what I know to be more likely, find some new badges if there is still a will to play the game.

The opportunity for everyone to have a chance, "fairness", versus the freedom to do things "proper" according to whosoever is asked at a particular time carries on because it is a consistent tug of war. It's fair that items don't go unused, especially if there is high demand for them. On the other side of the coin, the strive for fairness will tear out individual privileges and rights to the point of either being in the ship or in the water.

The activity clause for a host, in charge of how his beast is used, is to rp, to post. IT may remain sealed even during a match and never used to defeat their challenger. It is not stated that they must RP using the beast...Nor is it stated that they must have a challenge in order to retain their beast. A host can literally go months without facing that situation, never using his beast, far exceeding an activity clause for a claimed item, as long as they are active in rp.

Gitsune, SSM acting leader in charge of the organization and so in charge of how the swords were to be used, was here and rping. It should not matter what that rp was or where the claimed items of her organization reside during such a phase. By the very virtue that the Unnamed Scroll exists, its use for storing swords counts as activity in order to retain ownership. Had it not been storing swords, by this line of thought, it would not have been meeting its own activity clause and been subject to OOC theft. Quite the Catch 22. This too is an item that is improperly being controlled by the rules pertaining to the claims list. Again with the blender? Keep it in the kitchen already.

The two rules, as you observed, are different; a host's activity clause to RP and an individual's canon claimed item. The significance, among other reasons including logical difficulties in constantly using the biju (and hiding/evading hunters back in the day) is why the host does not have to use the beast in order to fulfill the activity clause. An item, however, is not, by the system, held to that same value standard for one reason or another. You could put them in a hat and draw them out if it so fancies you.

A host, overall, has far more restrictions on him or her than a standard canon item holder ever would, particularly with the recent set of rules regarding challenges. However, there seems to be overlap in that  both are held responsible for being active RPers, especially when their trophy is desired.

I put forth the alternate view point, once again, that it was those who wished to steal the SSM swords [through OOC means] that broke the claims list.

I reiterate, the claims list being broken for the same reasons as the old biju list being broken ultimately draws to a point of where does "fairness for everyone" stop and "individual right" begin? It is a fundamental existential civilizational conflict in pretty much every community that has lost its equilibrium in that regard.

Bocchiere and party, in advancing the stripping of the items so that they may go into circulation, advocated for "fairness" in this particular case, as it is more fair to have an item in circulation than to have it hoarded away. At the same time, the individual right for a village that has SL historically retained at least SOME of it swords both by tradition and by RP, and has a motivation other than power for maintaining its traditions has very little sympathy in the court of fairness. Kayenta and Party are frustrated that it seems everytime a rule is passed, it seems like another slice to their tradition, their independence, their freedoms. To clarify, there has been plenty of side switching on affiliations, but some have remain entrenched one way or another for quite some time.

To be more than a stater of things observed, I say that when it comes to items, the strive for fairness that aggravates the biju rules at times should not apply to claimed items, even of the canon sort. Items should not come in multiples so that everyone can have one (and thus devalue ownership of it) nor should they be judiciously stripped if the reason for a lack of the item being used is more substantial than "have no need for it".

Can't be fair to everyone and keep everyone's individual liberties intact.

We see this again when, in an effort at overall "fairness", limiting everyone to just one claimed item is met with stark resistance (far starker in fact than the SSM swords) as individual characters have acquired their belongings through earning them either in RP or in OOC would be deprived of their. Yes, you can earn something OOC, especially if the effort to attain it exceeds the actual worth of the object.

Maybe we should look to things in SL RP that aren't broken to gain insight on where a new system might need to lean.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Chinote

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »

This is why I just avoid canon items and make stuff that fits my character. I say burn it all and force people to use their creativity.  ;)

Kite

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 01:07:29 AM »

This is why I just avoid canon items and make stuff that fits my character. I say burn it all and force people to use their creativity.  ;)

Something like this. I honestly don't know how to weigh in on this topic. I see the point both sides are making. I don't use canon items and a lot of the things I use are custom. I would like to see events, GM proctored or otherwise, that promote creativity. If people are more creative then less emphasis can be placed on these canon items in general.

As for how to fix the current list, I don't really have a great answer. One per person seems impossible to convince anyone of. I for sure wouldn't want to break up my Fantastic Fork of Poking and Superb Spoon of Scooping set. Alternatively making all items available to everyone seems difficult to enforce for points made by Kamui as well as it could be a lot for GMs to do RP wise. Having to set up RP for every single person that wants an item would be a ton of work I'd imagine. Each RP would have to be unique or if they weren't and they were just a standard then everyone would know how to beat it.

I think the idea I like the best is to leave the list as is and just try and promote creativity in RP going forward. Have GM events that give out unique non-canon items as well as having GMs "claim" the canon items that are already inactive and have them hand those out during events.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 01:27:03 AM »

back to old school when we made fun of the canon clones!!!! when you used techs as written you were considered a copy paste artist with no creativity!

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »

I'm all for this idea.

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired"

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 01:25:25 AM »

How about we all just get along and communicate with each other in a more professional manner? That way we won't be at each other throats when it comes to canon-based items. No? Oh well, I tried.

PS: Although now that I looked over the claim's list, we might need to trim away the characters that are no longer on the site and vice-versa.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 01:59:28 AM »

I like having the old members listed...but bold facing the current...whatever...owner/director/rp hander outer person?

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 02:08:24 AM »

I like having the old members listed...but bold facing the current...whatever...owner/director/rp hander outer person?

I know what you mean. It's that feeling of nostalgia seeing old members that you were familiar with on the list. But. We all of these rules of inactivity being addressed, what is the point for keeping these old names immortalized in the list when they don't even contribute to the current RP we have today?

Another thing is what if someone wanted to sign a contract with a certain species of animal and come to find out the list of users, including the contract holder are no longer active? It's confusing for newer players in my opinion.

GooshGoosh

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 04:03:03 AM »

Sentiment should have no bearing whatsoever in this. We need an easily navigable page that delivers the information effectively without excessive clutter. If they are inactive, remove them. If they come back, they can send Yomi a message and be added again.

The problem I see here is that there are very few ways to make everyone happy. The ones who break the rules won't be happy until their toxic habits are protected or a compromise is made, and the people who are trying to enforce those rules won't be happy until they come up with something that can't be easily abused but still allows a certain degree of freedom.

Looking over the claims list, I see numerous techniques and Items that have no real reason for being on there, other than showing off that some people peruse the Naruto wikia for random jutsu more than others.

There are so many meaningless clutter techniques that literally no one cares about stealing, but for some reason are on there. Sure, I can see Earth grudge fear, Dust release, Flying thunder god and so on and so forth being there. They are techniques of merit and distinguish people considerably amidst the unwashed masses. Then there is the...Object extraction technique...or the mouth seal technique? Why does it matter if these people have these techniques? New players, or even veterans for that matter, don't honestly care about these moves. I would even go so far as to say they had no idea these moves existed in the first place before seeing them on the claimed. Seeing the uhh...Blinding Wide Sand Formation: Noise move that Yomi has didn't make my toes curl or my ass pucker, so I don't understand it's relevant on a claim list. Honestly just seems like a "NO, THIS IS MY TOY" tantrum from a 4 year old. Sorry to tell most of you, but your toys kinda suck. I came here to see the limited edition figurines that are actually worth collecting.   

I say we start by cleaning house. Get rid of all techniques that are not actually noteworthy and putting them in their own category or something. "Unique, but not exclusive." Obviously not what it would be called, but you get the gist. (Or just get rid of them all together? I like that more.)

Then what? I honestly think the only rule we can add to this system, of which I believe is not broken, is to add a challenge mechanic. Obviously some of you have mentioned that it has been brought up before and was shot down, but that's the only way I can see the items getting put back into circulation - which is my entire goal with these debates. That or expanding upon the activity rules to match the Biju rules. If you do not post at least every two - three weeks, you lose your fancy item. You don't necessarily have to use them, but you need to be out in the public where people can interact with you. Unlike tailed beasts, it would be much harder to determine who has what item. There is no chakra to track, no characteristics to notice other than the unique tool itself should the owner have it on their person. This grants the wielder some hefty advantages, and could potentially inspire detective work on the part of the hunter. Though, thumbing through some of these topics leads me to believe 90% of all hunts end in a strip or a void. How fun, amiright?

I could have more to say, but I'm sure all of you would like to pick apart what I have thus far with your pseudo lawyer skills, so have at it.

One last thing. It was mentioned that the 7 swords were a huge topic of debate for strips. Well obviously, they make up about half of all the weapons that are even on the damn list. With 16 items in total, 7 of them are Mist swordsmen tools, and they are by far the best weapons. The only other really cool weapon is the Sword of Totsuka. Which by the way, if we are being strip happy, is the one I want ;) DIBS. You all see it! DIBS. I want proof of it's use in the last 60 days before any claims list changes are finalized!!!
― T.S. Eliot

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »

Sentiment should have no bearing whatsoever in this. We need an easily navigable page that delivers the information effectively without excessive clutter. If they are inactive, remove them. If they come back, they can send Yomi a message and be added again.

The problem I see here is that there are very few ways to make everyone happy. The ones who break the rules won't be happy until their toxic habits are protected or a compromise is made, and the people who are trying to enforce those rules won't be happy until they come up with something that can't be easily abused but still allows a certain degree of freedom.

Looking over the claims list, I see numerous techniques and Items that have no real reason for being on there, other than showing off that some people peruse the Naruto wikia for random jutsu more than others.

There are so many meaningless clutter techniques that literally no one cares about stealing, but for some reason are on there. Sure, I can see Earth grudge fear, Dust release, Flying thunder god and so on and so forth being there. They are techniques of merit and distinguish people considerably amidst the unwashed masses. Then there is the...Object extraction technique...or the mouth seal technique? Why does it matter if these people have these techniques? New players, or even veterans for that matter, don't honestly care about these moves. I would even go so far as to say they had no idea these moves existed in the first place before seeing them on the claimed. Seeing the uhh...Blinding Wide Sand Formation: Noise move that Yomi has didn't make my toes curl or my ass pucker, so I don't understand it's relevant on a claim list. Honestly just seems like a "NO, THIS IS MY TOY" tantrum from a 4 year old. Sorry to tell most of you, but your toys kinda suck. I came here to see the limited edition figurines that are actually worth collecting.   

I say we start by cleaning house. Get rid of all techniques that are not actually noteworthy and putting them in their own category or something. "Unique, but not exclusive." Obviously not what it would be called, but you get the gist. (Or just get rid of them all together? I like that more.)

Then what? I honestly think the only rule we can add to this system, of which I believe is not broken, is to add a challenge mechanic. Obviously some of you have mentioned that it has been brought up before and was shot down, but that's the only way I can see the items getting put back into circulation - which is my entire goal with these debates. That or expanding upon the activity rules to match the Biju rules. If you do not post at least every two - three weeks, you lose your fancy item. You don't necessarily have to use them, but you need to be out in the public where people can interact with you. Unlike tailed beasts, it would be much harder to determine who has what item. There is no chakra to track, no characteristics to notice other than the unique tool itself should the owner have it on their person. This grants the wielder some hefty advantages, and could potentially inspire detective work on the part of the hunter. Though, thumbing through some of these topics leads me to believe 90% of all hunts end in a strip or a void. How fun, amiright?

I could have more to say, but I'm sure all of you would like to pick apart what I have thus far with your pseudo lawyer skills, so have at it.

One last thing. It was mentioned that the 7 swords were a huge topic of debate for strips. Well obviously, they make up about half of all the weapons that are even on the damn list. With 16 items in total, 7 of them are Mist swordsmen tools, and they are by far the best weapons. The only other really cool weapon is the Sword of Totsuka. Which by the way, if we are being strip happy, is the one I want ;) DIBS. You all see it! DIBS. I want proof of it's use in the last 60 days before any claims list changes are finalized!!!

Quote from: Camelicious
Sad that we can't change ourselves as human beings and fellow players of this server. From my perspective, this whole issue turned into a political dogma. On one side you have players that want to take a serious route that will benefit their characters in the long run, the other wants to have fun and casual roleplay without any of the drama that comes along with the serious side.

Thanks for proving my point though, Goosh. I hate to say it, but you just proved how toxic the community is when it wants something. (Although I've been bugging Mioku to give me back the Sword of Totuska for years, so if anything I got first dibs. :P)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:17:06 AM by Camel »

GooshGoosh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 04:19:01 AM »

Sad that we can't change ourselves as human beings and fellow players of this server. From my perspective, this whole issue turned into a political dogma. On one side you have players that want to take a serious route that will benefit their characters in the long run, the other wants to have fun and casual roleplay without any of the drama that comes along with the serious side.

Thanks for proving my point though, Goosh. :D

:good:

It's human nature. This is a game where players of both parties are FORCED to interact with one another, so this was to come about in one way or another. No one can get everything they want.

The sword thing was a joke to play on the fact everyone is strip happy. Though if it proves a point you wanted to make, then wabalubadubdub.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:24:03 AM by GooshGoosh »
― T.S. Eliot

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 04:29:49 AM »

Quote from: OH GAWD WHY DID I NOW NOTICE YOUR USERNAME?!

It's human nature. This is a game where players of both parties are FORCED to interact with one another, so this was to come about in one way or another. No one can get everything they want.

That is true. We can't always get what we want so instead, it is within our human nature to either steal or somehow legitimately get what we want through other legal means. I really want to know why the greed? After the whole discussion with inactivity and the days being agreed upon by sixty-days of inactivity, you have every right to *try* to claim what you wanted. I tried to do this when I noticed a player was inactive for more then sixty-days and I was yelled at by that user and his friends cronies.

The problem we have here these days is that no one is unbiased. Hate to say it, but if this continues. You'll see a drop of inactivity and eventually this server will turn into what LoB had become. Which I am certain will happen once the whole Naruto and Boruto hype train dies out.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:30:44 AM by Camel »

GooshGoosh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »

Quote from: OH GAWD WHY DID I NOW NOTICE YOUR USERNAME?!

That is true. We can't always get what we want so instead, it is within our human nature to either steal or somehow legitimately get what we want through other legal means. I really want to know why the greed? After the whole discussion with inactivity and the days being agreed upon by sixty-days of inactivity, you have every right to *try* to claim what you wanted. I tried to do this when I noticed a player was inactive for more then sixty-days and I was yelled at by that user and his friends cronies.

The problem we have here these days is that no one is unbiased. Hate to say it, but if this continues. You'll see a drop of inactivity and eventually this server will turn into what LoB had become. Which I am certain will happen once the whole Naruto and Boruto hype train dies out.
You got yelled at because you wanted to enforce the rules and take something from an inactive player. Bocc gets yelled at for the same shit all the time, yet go look at the claims list or the Biju list and count how many noteworthy claims he has. Obviously enforcing the rules gets you where you need to go. I see no "stealing", only legitimate methods of attaining the items. I would prefer if actual role play was done to get them, or that someone other than Bocc had some of those things, (I want everyone to have a chance at cool stuff, and Bocc being as strong as he is makes that difficult.) but at the end of the day enforcing the rules worked. If people obeyed those rules, then there would be no issue and we could move on with our lives.

And my username is disgusting, I know ;)
― T.S. Eliot

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 05:18:44 AM »

The only one I ever saw that was strip 'happy' was Asadi. I think you all can relate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:21:17 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.