Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Visa login, bought by donation points  (Read 2336 times)

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Visa login, bought by donation points
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:27:23 PM »

A thread to discuss about it.

Idea:
-> Donators can buy access to the site (when full) for xxx points for y days. They use a privileged login accessable on the main page, which overrides the maxlimit.
-> The amount of donators logging in might be capped, i.e. 20 donators can login. Then no more.

Backdraws (which keep me from just doing it):

-> if the donator limit is full, 120 people are on the server -> it's slower.
-> if 120 are on the server, 20 need to logout before even 1 normal user can login -> this is a big drawback for all normal users!
 (solution would be to make "100 standard, non-donators" and "20 extra, donators" ... two different limits. Yet, I don't know if that would fit.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

dude no.1

Re: Visa login, bought by donation points
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:30:53 PM »

i dont think we should, it will take much longer than it already does to get on when its a new day.

Sanosoke

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »

Yeah, I mean, alot of us don't or can't donate. And by can't, I mean, those of us who are broke. It already takes long enough to get on as it is, I can't imagine waiting for twenty more people to get off.

Risuku

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:33:15 PM »

that would be nice but donaters already get kyuubi  :twisted: and we have seen how far that has brought them. this is kinda a step towards a pay-for site. also i am sure that there will be more then 20 donaters and if they aren't able to log on i am sure they will be upset about that. basicly i think it should stay the same.

dude no.1

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:37:40 PM »

i mean the entire time the server will be full because people wont even try to log in if its full so they wait till its near the middle of the new day, so many people will be waiting till around that time that itll be full that time too. in other words, the server will always be full if this is done.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 02:44:45 PM »

i mean the entire time the server will be full because people wont even try to log in if its full so they wait till its near the middle of the new day, so many people will be waiting till around that time that itll be full that time too. in other words, the server will always be full if this is done.

which wouldn't be all bad... because it would reduce load on the newdays... and evenings.

@120 online
I could also make "100 normal users" + "20 visa-users" as extra spaces... to remove the "wait until 20 logged out" limit. wouldn't be too much of a hassle. just... well, as he said, it is going towards "paid site" which I don't want. Sure, we need to get donations to keep the system up, but currently it is even exceeding the costs by enough to make upgrades and have enough backup money.

kboogi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 03:02:53 PM »

well, I would donate for the visa login in a heartbeat, but if it leads to the problem of the server crawling again, it isn't worth it. I think the best way to go is to wait until the new server comes out in September. This way we can also see if donations will be close to what they are now, especially since school is starting in a lot of places... After the server is upgraded, then the visa login would be a good idea since it wll not put a strain on the overall speed & could raise for money for shinobi....
Pope'en ain't easy...

Respect the moderators!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 03:09:12 PM »

After an upgrade there will be  higher limit, of course.

How much, hm, 150? I can't tell without having the hardware at my hands. but the one I want is much stronger than the current.

Now we are on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2
4200+ Dual Core
2 GB DDR400 RAM
2 x 160 GB SATA HDD

and the new one will be the main server, the current used only for the database, linked via gigabit-crossover:

2x246 Dualcore Opteron
4 GB DDR (DDR2?)
2x160 GB SATA HDD

it is not yet sure IF this is the exact config, but having 4 instead of 2 processor cores and a lot more RAM, it is quite something.

dude no.1

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

the only thing im afraid of is the time it will take to log in, if you can make it so we dont got to wait till 20 ppl log off. i mean if we had to wait for 10 ppl than yeah id go for it, but 20 is way too long. it already takes a long time for just 1 person but for 20 thats way too much.

Kurisu

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 04:29:50 PM »

Well using the Visa-Users as extra space instead of it interfering with the normal users logging in solves any problems I had....

120 people online wont hurt the speed much I believe.  :-? Will it?

:shock: Thats one heck of a upgrade by the way... September you say?

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 05:06:38 PM »

Well using the Visa-Users as extra space instead of it interfering with the normal users logging in solves any problems I had....

120 people online wont hurt the speed much I believe.  :-? Will it?

:shock: Thats one heck of a upgrade by the way... September you say?

120 is, while having a newday +-30 mins quite slowing I presume...
20% more users and the load does not increase linear ^^

maybe September, mid or end of ... don't know when they finish testing the servers (bought new mainboards and are testing the configuration).

HatakeSakumo

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 05:28:55 PM »

After an upgrade there will be  higher limit, of course.

How much, hm, 150? I can't tell without having the hardware at my hands. but the one I want is much stronger than the current.

Now we are on:

AMD Athlon 64 X2
4200+ Dual Core
2 GB DDR400 RAM
2 x 160 GB SATA HDD

and the new one will be the main server, the current used only for the database, linked via gigabit-crossover:

2x246 Dualcore Opteron
4 GB DDR (DDR2?)
2x160 GB SATA HDD

it is not yet sure IF this is the exact config, but having 4 instead of 2 processor cores and a lot more RAM, it is quite something.

I love those specs  :shock: :shock:

Not a bad idea...I like the thought that my donations would let me jump on without having to constantly click refresh every 2 seconds...but like Risuku said...donators get the Kyuubi...so perhaps...

Those who donate over $10 get a donators spot?..maybe something for the really nice donators  ;)

if you can increase the max number of players on to about 150...you should save 20 of those spots for donators..or...10 or 15 spots...however many want them...unless you think the server can handle 150 regular members, 5 admins, and 20 donators.. ;)

basic opinion..Great idea...perhaps not the best time though.. >.>

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »

I would it make more like "buy x premium logins" or so... so only when you feel you need them, you can use them. kind of "having something to let you in if you are short on time"

I am not so fond of making permanent spots, though. You don't get kyuubi permanently either =) regardless of how much you donate

The only permanent I *may* see are moderators who help with overseening the chats... as they should be free of spam & other stuff.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

I mean 120 users wouldnt hurt the speed and visa logins seem like a good idea but at what cost  ;)

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 16 queries.