Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trying to 'fix' bijuu battles  (Read 9091 times)

Chinote

• View Profile
Re: Trying to 'fix' bijuu battles
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 02:03:33 AM »

But I'm just trying to state that luck does play a role in things. And I think it'd be better to have a system based off of luck than no system at all.
I would agree that it's better than nothing if it weren't for something like the Bijuu. I know they're basically trophies at this point, since everyone's baseline barely moves when you add them in, but they should still be seen as a powerful entity that only the strong are able to obtain, not someone who rolled a 19 when their opponent rolled a 5. This isn't something that should be decided by luck.

I will agree with Eric that it makes a decent option when two equal forces are going at each other, but that's it. You can roll for rock vs rock, but rolling on rock vs paper and letting rock win is foolish.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

Dice roll is a no go for reasons already stated. Too much luck for my taste.

While I personally wouldn't mind a chakra system in place....others would. Going on the system that I briefly went over and that later Vail went into detail about would force fighters to be more strategic in the fights rather than throwing 20 SSS rank jutsus at each other back and forth while moving at 200MPH. It's stupid.

While writing currently does play some part. (In less fights than more) I think a system with limitations would force people to be better.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Chinote

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

a system with limitations would force people to be better.
+9999999999999999999999999999

Look at NC/NR. We had limits. We had a system. Sure the characters probably look like babies holding butter knives compared to the characters here, but the quality of the RP was so much higher. It wasn't just throwing a million darts until one hit the victory board. You actually had to be a good writer to accomplish anything. Sure the kinds of cuts it'd take to get to that level and the amount of restructuring of, nearly everything to get to that level of a system would take time and I'm sure barely anyone would agree to it, but it'd be a proven way to make things more enjoyable.

I mean, unless just throwing a billion darts is your thing. You're boring and unimaginative, but you do you.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »

...I mean, unless just throwing a billion darts is your thing. You're boring and unimaginative, but you do you.

Well, I could use a dart launcher, a semi-automatic dart thrower, I could hand throw that many darts over the course of several months, overhand underhand under the leg each time, I dunno, I think you can get pretty creative with how you throw a billion darts at a dart board. ^_^ Quantity has a quality all its own ya know.

... While writing currently does play some part. (In less fights than more) I think a system with limitations would force people to be better.

Would those limitations keep to the same meta though? The Senju and Uzumaki have these great chakras and life forces given to them just for breathing, Uchiha simliar boat with sharingan, what kind of limitaions would actually even out the type of character seen commonly? Because if the limitation system just makes those certain character types more concretely superior, I feel it would be better to keep up with the unlimited powah for everyone system.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »

Would those limitations keep to the same meta though? The Senju and Uzumaki have these great chakras and life forces given to them just for breathing, Uchiha similar boat with sharingan, what kind of limitations would actually even out the type of character seen commonly? Because if the limitation system just makes those certain character types more concretely superior, I feel it would be better to keep up with the unlimited powah for everyone system.

That's where a system other than the chakra one that I mentioned comes into play. The bloodline limitation system where you pick this or that bloodline. This or that clan and so on.

So you could be an Uchiha/Uzumaki person, but not an Uchiha/Uzumaki/Kaguya/Senju person like you can do now.

Each bloodline has a power granted to them that is unique.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Would those limitations keep to the same meta though? The Senju and Uzumaki have these great chakras and life forces given to them just for breathing, Uchiha similar boat with sharingan, what kind of limitations would actually even out the type of character seen commonly? Because if the limitation system just makes those certain character types more concretely superior, I feel it would be better to keep up with the unlimited powah for everyone system.

That's where a system other than the chakra one that I mentioned comes into play. The bloodline limitation system where you pick this or that bloodline. This or that clan and so on.

So you could be an Uchiha/Uzumaki person, but not an Uchiha/Uzumaki/Kaguya/Senju person like you can do now.

Each bloodline has a power granted to them that is unique.

The power-ups of the Uchiha-Senju are pretty up there to the point where  sage mode is its most casual counter (Tensaigan less casual, but still around). Would even a system of "specilties" change that when bloodlines in the series were so good at everything under the sun?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Timothy

• View Profile
    • Shinobi Legends Biography
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »

I personally would ban the preta path or Rinnegan all together were it not a normal thing now. Too damn convenient x.x It's fun to have in Rp, but at the same time the tug of war with it all gets stale pretty soon. Having people go at each other with Susano'o is much more entertaining I think.
Every life has meaning, never lose sight of that.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »

I don't see why everyone is so adverse against dice rolls. Hearthstone, for example, is a game that's heavily reliant on RNG as well as many Rouge-like/lite games that are out there. Regardless, Nekomaru and I will continue the mock bijuu fight that we have going on in order to see how it works.

Chinote - Having a system based around 'who is the better writer' isn't really a system because it falls under subjectivity. Basically, the reader determines the winner in that case based off of some feeling on what they like and what they don't like. Your system may have come from another game where people may limit their characters more, but in SL those kinds of things don't really exist. A character with more tricks to use will, 9 times out of 10, beat a character with less.

Shadow - The problem with a chakra system exists when you try to set guidelines. What determines how much chakra you have? What about people who claim 'I have more chakra than you no matter what'? A fix for this would be that everyone basically gets the same chakra amount so it's an even playing field, but people probably would not be happy with that knowing that it's not fair that 'my character is supposed to have way more chakra than yours'.

Timothy + Eric - The Meta is also a pretty bad thing here. You have to have Sharingan/Sage Mode/Rinnegan in order to win, or some variation of them. This in turn reduces creativity by basically having players follow the same system in order to be 'competitive'.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Chinote

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 02:43:52 AM »

I don't see why everyone is so adverse against dice rolls. Hearthstone, for example, is a game that's heavily reliant on RNG as well as many Rouge-like/lite games that are out there.
That's fine for things that intended to be that way. If the new Call of Duty that came out this year was suddenly a dice-roller where every combat interaction depended on your roll vs the enemy, do you think anyone would play it? You've just taken all the skill out of the game and made it entirely luck-based. That's not to say luck doesn't already exist in the game; being in the right place at the right time, your enemy hitting the wrong button, lag, etc, but taking the skill out and making it a dice game isn't the solution for CoD's down year last year, and it's not the solution for RP here.

Chinote - Having a system based around 'who is the better writer' isn't really a system because it falls under subjectivity. Basically, the reader determines the winner in that case based off of some feeling on what they like and what they don't like. Your system may have come from another game where people may limit their characters more, but in SL those kinds of things don't really exist. A character with more tricks to use will, 9 times out of 10, beat a character with less.
No, it doesn't. Because if you're a better writer than your opponent, it's not going to come down to a judge's decision. If you're a better writer, then you'll find a way to win. If you don't, then it should be obvious who controlled the fight. In a world where not everyone has to be Madara on crack to survive, it leaves the door open to more creativity. You're not going to have the same one, two or three cookie-cutter characters used by everyone and causing infinite stalemates. You're going to have a more diverse world where rather than rock vs rock every single battle, you'll get paper. You'll get scissors. You'll get lizard and Spock. Hell, you might even get a gun, a nut, and a squirrel. There will be obvious advantages and disadvantages in most fights. But even if you're a paper fighting scissors, you can win if you're better at writing. It's not impossible. It's not unheard of. It's not easy, but being a better writer, a better RPer, should always be the tilt. Not a lucky die.

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 02:45:24 AM »

I actually really like the dice roll fights, but it just seems like that is another game entirely, it's not SL. The idea of losing a bijuu I had to fight for perhaps literal months for due to blind luck is actually stomach-turning.
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 03:35:52 AM »

Comparing this to COD is not really an argument. That'd be like comparing Madden to Final Fantasy. Many RPG games, which SL can technically be counted as an RPG, use some sort of variable system. Though it's not exactly dice rolling, there's still some sort of RNG involved. To be fair, even COD uses RNG to an extent...The guns all have a kind of cone of fire based around your crosshairs and may not shoot exactly at where you point at. You still have those chances to miss. If there wasn't that variation, then the game would just need two guns. A fast one, and a moderate one with a scope. But I know that no matter what I argue, I won't change your mind because you're set in your ways.

And Athos, this system wouldn't be as simple as rock/paper/scissors. A hit wouldn't necessarily equate to a loss, because it still would require wtiting ability. Nekomaru and I are working on a test fight where we're trying different options in regards to the system, so please check it out as we progress and leave your opinions based on it. And this would basically reduce the length of fights as well. The FFA took about 2 months, but a good portion of the time was spent arguing over things and dealing with a judge. Having a system like this might help reduce the time wasted during Bijuu battles.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Chinote

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 03:59:22 AM »

Comparing this to COD is not really an argument. That'd be like comparing Madden to Final Fantasy. Many RPG games, which SL can technically be counted as an RPG, use some sort of variable system. Though it's not exactly dice rolling, there's still some sort of RNG involved. To be fair, even COD uses RNG to an extent...The guns all have a kind of cone of fire based around your crosshairs and may not shoot exactly at where you point at. You still have those chances to miss. If there wasn't that variation, then the game would just need two guns. A fast one, and a moderate one with a scope. But I know that no matter what I argue, I won't change your mind because you're set in your ways.
"Look, Luck/RNG based games work, just look at [RNG based game that is no way related to SL at all]!"
"Luck/RNG works for that game because that's the way it's made. If you take [Not Luck based game that is no way related to SL at all] and made it a Luck based game, people wouldn't like it. Sure, it has RNG elements, but you still need to have skill to do good. Just like SL."
"Hey now. You can't compare [Not Luck based game] to this. And even then, [Not Luck based game] has RNG elements, so you need to have good Luck to win, skill isn't a factor, you just gotta be lucky to win [Not Luck based game]!"
 :?: :roll:
Yea, I'm done arguing this too. It's hard to type when one hand's facepalming this hard.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 04:14:08 AM »

I'm facepalming over the fact that a first-person shooter was used as a comparison to a text-based MMORPG. (FPS=/= RPGs) :oops:

I mean what is the sense of having a dice-roll function on the server, when you could use that same concept on here to make things a bit smoother in terms of zone fights? You do recall that this game is based off of the Legend of the Green Dragon, which happens to be a D&D-esque text-based roleplaying game, right?

Nowadays it doesn't depend on who is the better writer in zone fights, it'll come down to how much buffs your character stacks in that fight. More buff stacks = Better chance at winning. I hate to say it, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:17:36 AM by Camel »

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 04:16:09 AM »

"Look, Luck/RNG based games work, just look at [RNG based game that is no way related to SL at all]!"
"Luck/RNG works for that game because that's the way it's made. If you take [Not Luck based game that is no way related to SL at all] and made it a Luck based game, people wouldn't like it. Sure, it has RNG elements, but you still need to have skill to do good. Just like SL."
"Hey now. You can't compare [Not Luck based game] to this. And even then, [Not Luck based game] has RNG elements, so you need to have good Luck to win, skill isn't a factor, you just gotta be lucky to win [Not Luck based game]!"
 :?: :roll:
Yea, I'm done arguing this too. It's hard to type when one hand's facepalming this hard.
And there's what makes SL so great. Everyone everyone knows that SL is not based off of luck, skill, OR writing ability. It's all about who has the most points in the being a passive aggressive ass stat that determines who the real winners are here. Seriously though, there's no point in trying to change things. The bijuu system is, has, and always will be a massive mess of who can smell their own farts the hardest. Thankfully the whole system is OOC and doesn't matter anyway because everyone can just do whatever they want. Props for having hope and trying to fix things, but you're basically a guy trying to convince an Antifa crowd that Trump is good and that we need a wall. It's impossible and mud will be flung.

And Camel's right. Why you bring up Call of duty and then crucify him for using the point that you brought up, Chinote? >_>

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Asadi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 04:25:16 AM »

System wasn't always a mess. I remember when there wasn't a system. Fights for the beasts were fun and challenging without fighting over moves and people would take hits like champs.

Pride tends to blind people whether they like to admit it or not. But, it's an intangible item, not some certificate signed by Oliver with forest fight buffs.

Love, Asadi.

P.S.

Call of Duty: Recycled Warfare - coming to a store near you in 2017.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 17 queries.