Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Graphics in SL  (Read 12031 times)

Quest

Graphics in SL
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »

I would like to make a quick introduction of myself before moving to the subject of this thread. I'm some middle-age guy from some back-water country that goes by the author name, "Quest McCloud". My in-game avatar is Kiu (a.k.a Q). It may look like I just started playing SL, but I've actually have a few years of experience in certain parts of SL. I'll be working in a local game company starting this July and I would like to gain some experience making graphics for games. Well, that's enough for my intro.

Here is a list of stuff that I'm interested in working on (absolutely free of charge):
  • Forest Creatures (both creation and graphics)
  • Undead in the graveyard (both creation and graphics)
  • Town Scenery (moving scenery, if possible)
  • Item icons (24x24 px or 16x16 px, if possible)
  • Locations (shops and town events)
  • Boss and mini bosses (improve graphics)
  • Any other kind of icons for the game menu and stuff that you may be interested in adding

Unfortunately, I have no idea what is the graphical capability of a LotGD server. I've seen a lot of web-base browser games with great graphics on facebook, but can those be applied to SL? I simply do not know.

I hope to receive a favourable reply soon. A big thank you for all who decided to take their time reading this =)

p/s: I did wrote "free of charge", but receiving a few DP for my work wouldn't hurt ^_~ *wink wink*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:30:50 AM by Quest »

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics in SL
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »

Hi,

first of all: thanks for your offer ^^ help is always appreciated.

Regarding graphics:

I can use pictures almost anywhere in the game, as you can already see, though many do not have pictures due to me being not the graphic-geek finding / editing nice pictures. ^^

What I can do is send you the existing graphics and tell you what patterns they follow. i.e. forest enemies have a NAME LvX.jpg convention and so on.

The rest is basically just graphics, the displaying is something I have to code in to the right places, but it is not that much work. I mostly used the same size when I did images for places / villages.

Item Icons would be a new thing that needed to be coded, but from what I have in my head .... it should be not that big an issue to program into the bagpack.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Quest

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »

Thanks for the swift respond.

Concerning forest/graveyard enemies:

1) Do you want them to be at the same dimension as the ones that are currently in-use? What I plan to do is to illustrate each enemy (full-body view) with transparent background, which would be larger than the current mobs in the forest. The enemies will mostly be rogue ninja (a.k.a missing-nin), ninja of made-up villages (to avoid having players fight ninjas from their village), a few joke enemy like "The Log" or "Practice Dummy" etc. I will avoid using characters from the series, so that they can be used in forest events and such.

2) Is it possible to place a background for forest battles? Like I could illustrate forest for Konoha, snowy/misty woods for Kirigakure, desert for Sunagakure, and plains/fields for Otogakure.

3) Can I do the same for graveyard mobs? They don't have any illustration, so are you okay with making them illustrated? I plan to give graveyard mobs an eerie/scary theme without relying on gore (gore, bad of children). Since the series doesn't have much ghostly subjects for reference, I was thinking of using Japanese Yokai as a theme for them. It would help retain the Japanese feel that the series has, or once had.

Regarding towns:

1) Does the server support .gif? I think it would be nice to see birds flying across the sky, or people walking in the streets when a player enter a town. You know, some tiny movements in the town scenery.

2) Do you prefer a big picture of the main structure (or most recognizable structure) of the village, or nice detailed pictures of streets and alleys that changes every time the player refreshes the page?

3) Wouldn't you agree that seeing the shopkeeper blinking (pic #1) or cleaning a kunai (pic #2) behind the counter when you walk into the weapon shop make the game feel much much more interesting?

About boss and mini bosses:

I would like to give them some small movements if possible. Like Orochimaru moving his tongue around, Kabuto with flaring chakra on his hand, stuff like that. You know, to make them feel special =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do note that I cannot promise to deliver all the above as I'm pretty much just a trainie who is looking forward to gaining some exp to improve one self. I'll deliver what I can and as fast as I can (part of my training). I'll provide updates as I improve.

I'll start working once the questions above have been answered along with instructions such as; what format the illustrations should be in, what to name the files, what's the maximum dimension for each illustration, where and in what form should I deliver my work. Those kind of instructions.

p/s: I'll PM my email(s) to you later. Just in case you want to send those instructions through email.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »

Numbering it makes it better to respond :)

1) I use smaller pics because I don't want them to be too large for smaller screens. Transparent would be an option, but cutting them out and then have them looking well on our different templates is a bit tricky. Oro is cut out, and does not look that nice really.

If you can make them fit in nicely, I am open to any size / dimension.

2) That is a very good idea - never thought of it myself. But it would make villages feel more alive.
Can be managed by using a different CSS file. I can include that when loading the page.
Another option (discouraged) would be javascript-set. But that would still show a plain background a few microseconds, and that might be displeasing.
If you know HTML, you can use i.e. FireBug (Extension for FF) to check out the general template DIVs and such, they are pretty much the same names for IDs and classes.

3) Certainly. I believe we have either here a few with pictures.
Yokai or other Ghosts would be fine, yes.

We can also add more / other enemies there.

Towns:

1) any image can be shipped to the web browser, the browser needs to display it. If you check out the village map -> that is a generated map by the server. It takes a basic picture + paints the location etc etc on it when the site loads. :-) nifty, but I can do "on the fly" modifications for images.

Animated gifs are something I deliberated did not put in -> the rest of the site would be awfully static, and animated gifs are just repeating the same thing endlessly ...

we could, if you want, program something "lively" with JQuery (yet not used on SL). Though that would be a different effort ^^

Tiny movements should be ok in a gif.

2) Any is okay. I usually have for a few towns 1-3 pictures in it that get chosen randomly on page load.

3) See 1 + In this case, animated gifs might be okay, because they are repeating the same thing, and it looks more "natural".

Mini bosses: We should see what the players alltogether think about that, I am "in-between".

I usually played the game doing other things beside it, so I liked the static pages =)

@work

Any work you do is welcome and I won't bicker if you don't find the time to do all this =)

Quest

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »

It's been too long (many years) since I last saw Oro, and my new character is well...new *laugh* But okay, I don't think a moving gif with no background would look great either. Besides, a well illustrated bg would add to the atmosphere. Guess all the bg from the mobs in the forest will be...trees, leaves and bushes then ;)

Alright, I don't want to be all talk. I'll make a few samples of my ideas and post them here so that you may pick the one that best suit your taste for each category :)

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »

:twisted: anytime, thanks

Quest

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »

After a few trial and error, I finally completed my 1st picture (360 x 360). Shizune's weapon shop. She blinks every 5 sec.

I use what I could find and draw what I couldn't. I hope it's good enough for the game.

Kurenai's Armor shop will be next. I want to fill the parts of SL that doesn't have a picture 1st, before working on those that already have pictures in them. Besides, Gyu most likely put a lot of work into looking for and editing those screenshots. I'll continue her work instead of replacing all of them. Unless it's Neji's request.

p/s: Sorry for taking such a long time. I only have like 3 hours a day to work on them.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »

Thanks a lot ;) online now.

Feedback is appreciated from all players.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

At this rate, we simply might need to make a new staff position.  :P
Keep up the good work, looks good to me.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »

Marvelous. Can't wait to see what you do for the armor shop.

Quest

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:02:23 AM »

Kurenai is a hard chick to get. Finding a nice picture of her is hard since she almost never smiles >_< Might have to combine my drawing skill her screenshot to make a "complete" Kurenai.

Quest

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »

I found some REALLY nice pictures for Kurenai's Armor shop :twisted: Not sure if I can get it done tonight.

So I'll compensate you guys for the lack of results from me with these;

Kirigakure

Iwagakure

Kumogakure (hopefully "building in progress")

p/s: Neji, I'll send the above images to your email.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:14:30 PM by Quest »

Chika

• Come on bro, she was at my house last night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »

And for the Land of Iron?

Raishin

• In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

Might as well replace Sunagakure's current image with a better one.

Sunagakure

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy323/Shinobilegends/Sunagakure.png

Note: I also have photoshop, so I could be of help now and then.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:03:11 PM by Raishin »
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。

Quest

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:33:53 AM »

And for the Land of Iron?
We have a Land of Iron?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.