Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Claimed Tug of Wars  (Read 11642 times)

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
Re: Claimed Tug of Wars
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

So which one of us is going to pull the trigger and make a new wiki? >>

I could, and I can make a wiki akin to Narutopedia or Yuumei's wiki. Though, it's entirely dependent on my willpower. So the possibility of me creating the wiki is highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:27:43 PM by Snap »

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »

And why would someone do that?
If people are not going to follow Yuumei's wiki, then why would you expect people to follow someone else's wiki? >.>

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »

If people are not going to follow Yuumei's wiki, then why would you expect people to follow someone else's wiki? >.>
Truth
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »

Truth

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

People don't follow Yumei's wiki, cause he's not there to ban you  for being a child and messing with the claimed list >>
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Ratatosk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »

One thing for sure is the wiki does give a nice extended bio to work with, the claimed stuff however just no is all I can say. People think they are so self-entitled to claim this then claim that the more people claim the less freedom it gives to others if they want to be included in the 'mainnstream' RP.

Deathstroke

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »

Can I just say again that if your only response is going to be, "no one will follow the rules, no one can get along, there's no point." Then I'm going to start reporting the posts for spam at this point. We don't need 5 people in every single discussion topic saying that it doesn't matter it won't work anyway. That isn't a constructive criticism.
"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
"I don't know, I don't have 2020 vision."

Ryu

• Zero is real.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 11:30:54 PM »

People don't follow Yumei's wiki, cause he's not there to ban you  for being a child and messing with the claimed list >>
This is true. If someone truly competent made a wiki and regulated it then sure enough people will follow.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 11:45:26 PM »

I remember when Yumei first made the wiki and I was not a bit pleased. I thought it fairly high handed of him and presumptuous as an individual to go out and create something that was supposed to be a set of rules for SL like that. People often referred to the wikia as the standard of what was and I thought really? Says who? Before long people were actually saying things like, "Well how can you do this move, it's not on your bio anywhere , or where is that written and recorded that you can do such and such?" And I was like, wtf is this? Since when do I have to have it written down someplace that I can tie my shoes without help before I get to RP tying my shoes without help and no one cries void void void?

When these bios are used like that, I do not approve and never have. The wikia is no authority over rp and should not be seen as that either. I certainly do not want anyone having authority over how I build my characters. Restricting what jutsu I can create, or special locations within the realm. When i first started on SL there were people who tried to prevent me from being there in Suna and complained about me using suiton. I thought it was ridiculous to permit others to dictate that I could not create a character who could find water in the desert to use, especially in Suna which could not exist without a source of water beneath it. And so years of RP sprang from my refusal to be dictated to. Kay found water in the desert and many have rp'd there in the cavern and at its lake. RP stemming from the ancient civilization of the Al-Kahtar continues to this day.

My point is this, when you restrict others you shut the door on creativity based on the narrow view of a few people while others may find it quite suitable and derive years of pleasure from those who said yes, why not? Let's do it!

I feel that to have the wikia as a record of events and people and places is great. But for it or any such thing to stand as the rule of thumb...no. Absolutely not.

Ryu

• Zero is real.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 12:13:20 AM »

I remember when Yumei first made the wiki and I was not a bit pleased. I thought it fairly high handed of him and presumptuous as an individual to go out and create something that was supposed to be a set of rules for SL like that. People often referred to the wikia as the standard of what was and I thought really? Says who? Before long people were actually saying things like, "Well how can you do this move, it's not on your bio anywhere , or where is that written and recorded that you can do such and such?" And I was like, wtf is this? Since when do I have to have it written down someplace that I can tie my shoes without help before I get to RP tying my shoes without help and no one cries void void void?

When these bios are used like that, I do not approve and never have. The wikia is no authority over rp and should not be seen as that either. I certainly do not want anyone having authority over how I build my characters. Restricting what jutsu I can create, or special locations within the realm. When i first started on SL there were people who tried to prevent me from being there in Suna and complained about me using suiton. I thought it was ridiculous to permit others to dictate that I could not create a character who could find water in the desert to use, especially in Suna which could not exist without a source of water beneath it. And so years of RP sprang from my refusal to be dictated to. Kay found water in the desert and many have rp'd there in the cavern and at its lake. RP stemming from the ancient civilization of the Al-Kahtar continues to this day.

My point is this, when you restrict others you shut the door on creativity based on the narrow view of a few people while others may find it quite suitable and derive years of pleasure from those who said yes, why not? Let's do it!

I feel that to have the wikia as a record of events and people and places is great. But for it or any such thing to stand as the rule of thumb...no. Absolutely not.
Well if there was no way of organizing this information then people will be able to perform asspulls such as suddenly claiming to know Suiton jutsu to counter an opponents Katon, etc.

The only thing the wiki is meant for is to hold information, it doesn't place any rule over anything.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 12:27:25 AM »

It's been a while since I posted. It's nice to learn that there's no real moderator to the wiki page, but that's also a bit disheartening. A moderator would be nice to clean up some of those grave-pages (there's a few pages that are all but blank that have 'please delete' on them and a few bio pages that only have a picture on them) that have been around. They'd be able to actually see the date the page was created and the last time the user accessed that page, so those ones that are almost completely useless could be cleared up.
But with a moderator, you'd have to worry about who does it because you don't want someone deleting someone's data just because they don't like a person. But can a mod prevent other people from editing a section of a page to prevent tug-of-war situations?

And I'd like to say that the wiki is a nice place just to store data at. I keep notes on my computer on what I've talked about with who when it comes to key plot-stuff because my memory's pretty bad. The wiki helps me remember stuff that Becquerel can and has done, but should be in no way a ceiling or a rule-book. And like I said earlier, though I may have 'claimed' the Raptor and Ant summons, I only did so to basically write a page on them because I thought it would be a fun writing project. If someone wants to do more with them or claim them as well, that's fine with me. If they're using them already and using them in a different way, that's fine too. :)
I feel as long as your character isn't like Dr. Manhattan, IceMan, or some other insanely powerful fictional character, then do whatever you want. And even if your character is like that, just don't unload a dump-trunk of doo-doo onto another person...Actually, ever do that to anyone regardless of how your character is lol (unless you're RPing as Eddie Guerrero)
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »

Can I just say again that if your only response is going to be, "no one will follow the rules, no one can get along, there's no point." Then I'm going to start reporting the posts for spam at this point. We don't need 5 people in every single discussion topic saying that it doesn't matter it won't work anyway. That isn't a constructive criticism.

Okay but it's the truth. >.>

Anyways, people can claim all the stuff they want, it won't stop other people's way of RP.
For example, are you going to stop RPing with a person because they don't have a 'rightful' claim to something? Depending on what it is, you probably won't. So what's the point of the claim list?
Especially when most people probably don't even know there is a claim list. It's only mentioned in the forums to begin with. You would think it would be sticky somewhere but nope. >.>

Having rules are understandable but at the end of the day, who's going to enforce them and how?
It's like what Genesis said.

But yeah, instead of calling it a 'claim list', I rather use it as an information center of knowing who has what.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 04:33:45 AM »

Okay but it's the truth. >.>

Anyways, people can claim all the stuff they want, it won't stop other people's way of RP.
For example, are you going to stop RPing with a person because they don't have a 'rightful' claim to something? Depending on what it is, you probably won't. So what's the point of the claim list?
Especially when most people probably don't even know there is a claim list. It's only mentioned in the forums to begin with. You would think it would be sticky somewhere but nope. >.>

Having rules are understandable but at the end of the day, who's going to enforce them and how?
It's like what Genesis said.

But yeah, instead of calling it a 'claim list', I rather use it as an information center of knowing who has what.

There is a reason the record is deemed broken if it repeats itself constantly without benefit.  :P

I actually first heard about the claimed list on SL back when I was in Konoha (and when Yumei was still around). It was not a foreign concept to me because I had participated in SLS, but the forum is not the only place the claims list has been listed. Kiri's special swords come to mind (haven't had a topic about those in awhile) but hiraishin and edo tensei also come to mind.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 04:37:34 AM »

There is a reason the record is deemed broken if it repeats itself constantly without benefit.  :P

I actually first heard about the claimed list on SL back when I was in Konoha (and when Yumei was still around). It was not a foreign concept to me because I had participated in SLS, but the forum is not the only place the claims list has been listed. Kiri's special swords come to mind (haven't had a topic about those in awhile) but hiraishin and edo tensei also come to mind.

But if you're someone completely new to SL, you would not know about it until someone tells you or you somehow discover about it yourself.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 04:46:32 AM »

But if you're someone completely new to SL, you would not know about it until someone tells you or you somehow discover about it yourself.

Pretty sure there have been enough comments here on the forum about the subject that, if someone were to comb through this thread right now, they would get the jist without the constant repetition of "if nobody is gonna follow it don't bother".

Now, on the actual site, this kind of discussion happens more intimately, so naturally the benefit of the broken record is that it plays even when the doors close and the ceiling lights go out.

My and Deathstroke's point being that it has probably been repeated enough for one thread (let alone topic matter) in the same fashion, the same manner, that it would be less energy-consuming to just copy-paste/quote the messages from elsewhere and paste them, or to not repeat them in the same fashion at all.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:47:19 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 16 queries.