Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Eighth Gate and Kamui  (Read 4625 times)

Hazama

• View Profile
The Eighth Gate and Kamui
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »

So I was watching the fight between Madara and Guy because, I mean, it is flipping awesome. And I had thought about this before but now that I am watching this again, I decided to ask about it.

Now it is shown in the Manga and Anime that when Guy uses his final move, the Night Guy, that he can literally bend space. Now, I can't remember what the fight was, but on SL there was a fight where someone used the intangibility version of Kamui to escape the Eighth Gate.

Would using Kamui let you avoid a move like the Night Guy if it affects space? o.o Or would you still be struck by the attack?
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
Re: The Eighth Gate and Kamui
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »

The way I see it, the abilities of the Eight Gate Released Formation would resolve first, before that person/character is able to make use of the intangibility of Kamui. Considering we are talking about an ability that makes you on par with the Ten Tails' Jinchūriki, but if we were to take this away and that person/character is left with the ability of Kamui; the results would probably be the same. 

Night Guy is just that strong. It's very overpowered and I've yet to encounter a scenario like which you are describing. Bending time and space around you will generally trump overs something transport(s) portions of your body into a personal dimensional space.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:06:48 PM »

The wiki says "the space within the immediate vicinity of the technique is distorted making it impossible to defend against."

Being able to bend space wouldn't stop space-time abilities though. I took it to mean he was distorting space so if you tried to avoid it he'd just space bend you back into the kick, or bend your attacks at him around himself. Nothing about that would stop you from using Kamui though.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »

I thought this is why Night Guy was banned, because it was just too OP. It allowed Guy to go faster than any character at a constant rate which should make the fight an instant draw (considering both players would end up dying). But considering how characters here always go faster than their opponent until everyone is like Sonic, the use of Night Guy should still put that user ahead of the other in terms of speed. But if one could just kamui through Night Guy, why didn't Madara? I honestly think that you can't Kamui out because you need to think and, if Night Guy moves faster than one can perceive anything, you should get hit before you could even realize you're getting hit.

But then again, because the user dies, I feel like it's a good trade off. Kind of like flipping the board in a card game/chess/tabletop, nobody really wins but the game's effectively over.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:54 AM »

Madara only ever had Kakashis mangekyo, so he couldn't phase through things with that. And it was also established that for plot convenience the 10 tails host can't use Kamui'd phasing ability anyway.

I don't think it goes imperceptibly fast either. Also never heard of it being banned here.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »

Bocchiere is right. Night Guy would have no effect on someone using the intangibility version of Kamui for this very reason: Night Guy bends the space within whatever dimension the eight gate user occupies. Since the Kamui ability grants intangibility by transmitting the desired body parts to another dimension entirely, it wouldn't exist in the space that is being bent by Night Guy.

Of course Naruto (and most forms of media) misunderstand what a "dimension" is, but that's beside the point. :P

Science!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:31:43 AM by Vail »

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 01:06:43 AM »

Bocchiere is right. Night Guy would have no effect on someone using the intangibility version of Kamui for this very reason: Night Guy bends the space within whatever dimension the eight gate user occupies. Since the Kamui ability grants intangibility by transmitting the desired body parts to another dimension entirely, it wouldn't exist in the space that is being bent by Night Guy.

Of course Naruto (and most forms of media) misunderstand what a "dimension" is, but that's beside the point. :P

Science!

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:27:07 AM »

Science!

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »

Let's get this straight. If Night Guy has an effect of bending the space around the immediate vicinity, then Kamui wouldn't be able to resolve on the caster. We all know that it had such a drastic effect that it even the space around the Truth Seeking Ball(s) were distorted, this means if you even tried to make use of the dimensional transportation, it just wouldn't work and/or the space around which you're trying to teleport is bent into an opposing direction; you would miss your target with this logic.

Think about it for a minute, rather then jump to a conclusion and say that it would indeed work, when the technique has been shown that it is strong enough to damage Truth Seeking Ball(s).

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »

Let's get this straight. If Night Guy has an effect of bending the space around the immediate vicinity, then Kamui wouldn't be able to resolve on the caster. We all know that it had such a drastic effect that it even the space around the Truth Seeking Ball(s) were distorted, this means if you even tried to make use of the dimensional transportation, it just wouldn't work and/or the space around which you're trying to teleport is bent into an opposing direction; you would miss your target with this logic.

Think about it for a minute, rather then jump to a conclusion and say that it would indeed work, when the technique has been shown that it is strong enough to damage Truth Seeking Ball(s).

That and your ability to use Kamui have no correlation and I'm unclear why you think it does.

Camel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »

That and your ability to use Kamui have no correlation and I'm unclear why you think it does.

But if I am bending the space around the immediate vicinity and you just happen to be within range, needless to say I think the effects of Night Guy would resolve first followed by that person attempting to avoid a one-shot straight into oblivion by using Kamui.

I'm just confused on why Kamui is faster then someone who has the chakra prowess of five different Kage(s) and not to mention amongst various other stat multipliers. But then again. Science, right? :oops:

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »

No one was talking about Kamui being "faster". A person using night guy would likely attack their opponent faster than they can successfully caste kamui, but that's beside the point. Assuming someone has ALREADY cast Kamui (which is what my original comment was about), they wouldn't be affected since their physical matter doesn't exist within the spacetime of the particular dimension that is being distorted by Night Guy. It's common sense.

Now if the person were to attempt to return to the dimension in which Night Guy is being used, assuming that they appear in an area of space that is being distorted, then they'd likely be in trouble.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

Well if you have your Mangekyo active all you need to do is will it to happen. I was not under the impression Night Guy was faster than thought. 8 Gates always seemed to buff strength more than speed to me. Like Raiton no Yoroi is faster otherwise A wouldn't be known as the fastest shinobi.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »

Well if you have your Mangekyo active all you need to do is will it to happen. I was not under the impression Night Guy was faster than thought. 8 Gates always seemed to buff strength more than speed to me. Like Raiton no Yoroi is faster otherwise A wouldn't be known as the fastest shinobi.

It may not be faster than a speed of thought (there is no single speed of thought and this is something that's difficult to quantify anyway), but it could very well be faster than the person can consciously register and react depending on the distances involved and who it is. That would require me to do math and some guesswork, though, which I don't feel like doing.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:34:03 AM »

It may not be faster than a speed of thought (there is no single speed of thought and this is something that's difficult to quantify anyway), but it could very well be faster than the person can consciously register and react depending on the distances involved and who it is. That would require me to do math and some guesswork, though, which I don't feel like doing.

Well of course there are an endless number of variables we could introduce to swing it either which way.

It seems to be thought that since Night Guy bends space it would negate space-time ninjutsu which isn't the case. I think space-time manipulation would be considered a step above space manipulation and couldn't be countered by it.

I don't think people really get what bending space is.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 12:39:17 AM by Bocchiere »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.