Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: IC Rules  (Read 11337 times)

Eric

• View Profile
IC Rules
« on: January 04, 2017, 05:15:19 AM »

So, by a vote that I do want to quote right now, IC hunts are a to be a thing. So I am putting up a rough raft of the format for general IC rules. I put some work into this, and my heart told me that it would be best to not get too gritty into the specifics in case everything is outright rejected. Some thought has, over the course of these past few months, gone into said specifics, but they are not going to be compiled and included here.

Without too much foreplay, here is my rough draft, copy-paste from Memo.
--------------------

IC biju rules need to include several things, primarily the hunting and fighting portion.

Hunted: summoner or jinchuriki

Hunter: challenger and/or allies

Support: the hunted's allies

Neutral: All other individuals

Hunting: In order to discover the hunted and have the option to initiate a battle, the following conditions must be met by the hunter(s):

* The hunted's identity must be known to at least one of the hunters.

* The hunted's physical location must be known to at least one of the hunters.

* The hunted and the hunters must be within the same zone or, if in a village, the same dwelling and/or district.

Battling: A battle is initiated automatically if any of the conditions are met:

*Any of the hunters attacks or is attacked by the hunted or his/her support.

*A zone fight involving the hunted is ongoing or initiated by a neutral party while the hunter(s) are in the same area.

During the Battle Phase, the hunters have the objective of subduing the jinchuriki (not killing), killing the biju summoner or stealing a summoned biju, or, if possible, convincing the biju holder to surrender. Once the battle phase is initiated, neither the hunters nor the hunted may leave the zone for any period longer than 1 turn (to permit retrieving something from a pocket dimension, resting, etc. for either party). Punishments are on a case-by-case basis with the judge's word as Final.

Any others involved in the area during the battle phase are counted as "Neutral". They can reduce damage to surroundings, flee the battle, and interact with any other Neutrals, but cannot directly interact with the hunters nor the hunted and his or her support. The judge makes the final call on what counts as direct interaction or not *hint, counter-attacks intended to kill the hunters or support count as direct interaction*.

The hunted have the objective of either killing or subduing the hunters. His/her support wants to aide him/her in either or both endeavors.

During a battle, excessive inactivity (defined as, the moment said individual's turn is up, 72 hours passing from that point) will be counted as either:

Hunter - Captured, Killed, Flight, or any other reasonable condition as determined by the judge.

Hunted - Captured, beast extracted, beast stolen, or any other reasonable condition as determined by the judge.

All hunters and all hunted/support must be declared at the beginning of the Battle Phase; no additional hunters nor support may enter the fight once the battle phase begins. NPC's are not allowed to engage hunters, hunted, nor support characters. They are allowed to reduce the damage done to surroundings and other NPC characters. What counts as this is up to the judges discretion.

During battle, characters are allowed 3 actions, including any clones made. Summons are allowed a single action of their own, but may also take up an action of the summoning character.

Each and every technique used in battle MUST have a detailed description, including the elemental type (if applicable),the intended effect on targets, and any other effects that are relevant to all of the characters affected understanding the technique and it's consequences as determined by a judge if a dispute were to arise on the matter.

A combination of external references and in roleplay descriptions are advised.

The judge's decision is final in all cases except in cases of rule violations, where an appeal can be made to the Biju Council only. The judge reserves the sole right to void a portion of the biju related RP if such is required for a decision. Should this also interfere with outside RP, the judge should make clear what is voided and the consequences on the entire zone/village etc. as a result of the void event.

Upon defeat of the hunted/support and/or the hunters, the battle phase ends. Thus, hunters may escape with their prize by any means available to them, and hunted/support have a 5 turn cooldown before any new hunters are permitted to start an engagement (IE, start a battle phase).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:24:01 PM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: IC Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »

Can we deal with each item one at a time or in small clusters?

IC biju rules need to include several things, including regulations for hunting, fighting, and escape.

Terminology:
  • Hunted: host or jinchuriki
  • Hunter: challenger and/or allies
  • Support: the hunted's allies
  • Neutral: All other individuals

1] Hunting: In order to discover the hunted and have the option to initiate a battle, the following conditions must be met by the hunter(s):
  • a] The hunted's identity must be known to at least one of the hunters.
  • b] The hunted's physical location must be known to at least one of the hunters.
  • c] The hunted and the hunters must be within the same zone or, if in a village, the same dwelling and/or district.
2] Battling: A battle is initiated automatically if any of the conditions are met:
  • a] Any of the hunters attacks or is attacked by the hunted or his/her support.
  • b] A zone fight involving the hunted is ongoing or initiated by a neutral party while the hunter(s) are in the same area.
3] During the Battle Phase, the hunters have the objective of subduing the jinchuriki (not killing), killing the biju summoner or stealing a summoned biju, or, if possible, convincing the biju holder to surrender.

4] The hunted have the objective of either defeating/chasing off the hunters or escaping capture. His/her support wants to aide him/her in either or both endeavors.

5] During a battle, excessive inactivity (defined as, the moment said individual's turn is up, 72 hours passing from that point) will be counted as either:
  • a] Hunter - Captured, Killed, Flight, or any other reasonable condition as determined by the judge.
  • b] Hunted - Captured, beast extracted, beast stolen, or any other reasonable condition as determined by the judge.
6] For the first 5 rounds of a battle phase, the hunted cannot flee the battle using space-time ninjutsu or any "quick escape" methods such as lightning release armor. However, on the 6th round, the hunted is permitted to flee using these methods at anytime, and is considered successful only if the hunted escapes the zone/area.

7] Escaping: For hunters, this means making off with the beast and/or the hunted. For the hunted, this means escaping from the hunters.  This phase is only initiated if the hunted escapes successfully the battle phase, but within 3 rounds of escaping at least one hunter enters the same zone as the hunted.

8] All hunters and all hunted/support must be declared at the beginning of the Battle Phase. NPC's are not allowed to engage hunters, hunted, nor support characters. They are allowed to reduce the damage done to surroundings and other NPC characters.

9] During battle, characters are allowed 3 actions, including any clones made. Summons are allowed a single action of their own, but may also take up an action of the summoning character.

10] Each and every technique used in battle MUST have a detailed description, including the elemental type (if applicable),the intended effect on targets, and any other effects that are relevant to all of the characters affected understanding the technique and it's consequences as determined by a judge if a dispute were to arise on the matter.

11] A combination of external references and in roleplay descriptions are advised.

12] The judge's decision is final in all cases except in cases of rule violations, where an appeal can be made to the Biju Council only.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »

Looking to Item 1:

What are suitable methods for obtaining this information? This was a major stumbling block during the problem IC hunts of the past.

What are unsuitable means of obtaining this information? Do any techniques need to be voided?

Do terms of RP need to be added to the definition section? By this I mean the following:
Metagaming
Character Control
and any other terms which might be required to facilitate a smooth RP experience for IC hunting...

Additionally. May we have proper definitions? A host is a jinchuuriki. I believe you mean to say summoner or jinchuuriki?

further Additionally moment: Thank you for doing this. It is nice to have a place to start hashing this long neglected issue out at last!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:58:36 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »

Well, not being a Biju Council member nor a host, I have some time to think on these sorts of things.

Looking to Item 1:

What are suitable methods for obtaining this information? This was a major stumbling block during the problem IC hunts of the past.

What are unsuitable means of obtaining this information? Do any techniques need to be voided?

Do terms of RP need to be added to the definition section? By this I mean the following:
Metagaming
Character Control
and any other terms which might be required to facilitate a smooth RP experience for IC hunting...

Additionally. May we have proper definitions? A host is a jinchuuriki. I believe you mean to say summoner or jinchuuriki?

further Additionally moment: Thank you for doing this. It is nice to have a place to start hashing this long neglected issue out at last!

Yeah, I meant "summoner" lol. I will change that.

From what I can find: http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8694.0.html

The Telescope technique seems to be the only technique that has been declared a no-go for sensing beasts and their masters.

As far as definitions:

Metagaming: Using knowledge outside of what the character would know. Catch-all being, whatever the judge(s) determine as metagaming.

Character Control: A player determining the actions of another player's character without a RP justification. Catch-all, whatever the judge(s) determine as character controlling.

Overall, if there is a dispute, a judge (or multiple judges) will make the call on it.

Thanks for numbering each of the "sections"/"points", that makes it much easier to address them.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »

Also, 1 or 3 judges? I wrote the rough draft with the thought of just 1, but with the kind of RP decisions being made 3 might be seen as more appropriate.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »

I don't think escape should be allowed.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:14:13 AM »

Why not?

I think it should be allowed, under some limitations, as this is an IC fight, and the hunted not having the option to retreat from battle is far-fetched given that the hunters have the option to retreat from the battle at any time without limitations based on what we already have.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

Why not?

I think it should be allowed, under some limitations, as this is an IC fight, and the hunted not having the option to retreat from battle is far-fetched given that the hunters have the option to retreat from the battle at any time without limitations based on what we already have.

Cause the hunted can just Kamui, ftg, reverse summon, etc away.

Or they could raiton no yoroi + sage mode + body flicker away

There would have to be pretty serious limitations.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »

Why not?

Cause the hunted can just Kamui, ftg, reverse summon, etc away.

Or they could raiton no yoroi + sage mode + body flicker away

There would have to be pretty serious limitations.

What sort of limitations did you have in mind?

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »

Why not make it so IC hunters don't have to apply to the challenge list rule? Meaning that if they challenge the holder at any time during RP, they could fight within the confines of SL (and not the forums). That way if someone does escape, it'd be easy to pick up where you left off?
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »

Why not make it so IC hunters don't have to apply to the challenge list rule? Meaning that if they challenge the holder at any time during RP, they could fight within the confines of SL (and not the forums). That way if someone does escape, it'd be easy to pick up where you left off?

I thought IC fights would take place on SL anyways. An IC fight here on the forum would be hard to sync with SL RP. An OOC fight with IC consequences is not what I had in mind originally.

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »

I actually thought of this too and I made my own rough draft for some rules.

IC Hunt Rules:

Do the challenger and the host want to do an rp before their fight? If yes than they do one.

End of rules.

I am dead serious that is all it should be. Trying to make it competitive is why they failed 99% of the time. No one wants to lose so all it became was what is the best way for me to use it to weasel out of losing or having to fight at all. There's just too much crap to try and regulate between all the ways you can track someone and hide from someone and hang out in a town and hang out with 10 friends.

No matter which way we take it it won't work.

If we allow people to say you have to track me down IC and there's a chance the hunter can fail and not get their fight with the Jinchuriki then, regardless of what rules we make, it will be abused to the maximum potential so Jinchuriki can avoid having to defend their beasts. That's what I did when I said people had to do IC hunts because I knew less people would be willing to go through that and I know other people did too. We will be right back where we started.

If we do it any other way, say that the challenger can say no I don't want to do an IC hunt or remove any chance of failure from the hunt rp than then rp becomes largely pointless, it's just backstory for the fight. At which point my rule of do you want to do an rp or not becomes the most logical way to do it.

Seeing IC hunts fail time and time again I strongly believe this is how it should be handled. Just have your rp and then do the fight like normal. Anything else is just opening avenues for trouble and abuse.

The option to flee is a great example. We'd either have to make it basically useless, like you have to wait 10 turns to run away and if you do the challenger doesn't go on a three month cool down, or else there would be no reason to try and win a fight. As a Jinchuriki why would I ever bother putting myself in harms way if I can just back off for X number of turns and then leave scott-free? It would basically just be the challenger has X turns to win or they lose. Because if the host can run then the host never needs to win they just need to not lose and that's way easier. "I go into my Kamui dimension for X turns and then I leave." That would be every fight because why would I do anything else if that assures me I keep my beast?
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Dart Terumī

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »

I actually thought of this too and I made my own rough draft for some rules.

IC Hunt Rules:

Do the challenger and the host want to do an rp before their fight? If yes than they do one.

End of rules.

I am dead serious that is all it should be. Trying to make it competitive is why they failed 99% of the time. No one wants to lose so all it became was what is the best way for me to use it to weasel out of losing or having to fight at all. There's just too much crap to try and regulate between all the ways you can track someone and hide from someone and hang out in a town and hang out with 10 friends.

No matter which way we take it it won't work.

If we allow people to say you have to track me down IC and there's a chance the hunter can fail and not get their fight with the Jinchuriki then, regardless of what rules we make, it will be abused to the maximum potential so Jinchuriki can avoid having to defend their beasts. That's what I did when I said people had to do IC hunts because I knew less people would be willing to go through that and I know other people did too. We will be right back where we started.

If we do it any other way, say that the challenger can say no I don't want to do an IC hunt or remove any chance of failure from the hunt rp than then rp becomes largely pointless, it's just backstory for the fight. At which point my rule of do you want to do an rp or not becomes the most logical way to do it.

Seeing IC hunts fail time and time again I strongly believe this is how it should be handled. Just have your rp and then do the fight like normal. Anything else is just opening avenues for trouble and abuse.

The option to flee is a great example. We'd either have to make it basically useless, like you have to wait 10 turns to run away and if you do the challenger doesn't go on a three month cool down, or else there would be no reason to try and win a fight. As a Jinchuriki why would I ever bother putting myself in harms way if I can just back off for X number of turns and then leave scott-free? It would basically just be the challenger has X turns to win or they lose. Because if the host can run then the host never needs to win they just need to not lose and that's way easier. "I go into my Kamui dimension for X turns and then I leave." That would be every fight because why would I do anything else if that assures me I keep my beast?

+1

IC Hunts just don't work even when we attempt to be guidelines and 'rules' to them. Instead, let it just be RP to develop out the story and then have the fight take place as it normally would, like Athos-senpai said.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 12:07:37 AM »

... IC Hunt Rules:

End of rules...

The answer is usually no for that RP though.  Why go through the trouble of RPing anything when you can slap a few paragraphs into a few posts with some references to narutopedia and SLpedia and call yourself a boss? When it is done to determine the fate of the trophies that supposedly contribute to RP nobody bats an eye, but if someone makes a list of custom jutsu that is similar to a "veteran's" everyone loses their minds.

Make no mistake, I have been among the top to decry IC method and shun it like the red headed stepchild that has to take pills to keep the bipolar disorder from turning him into a serial killer that the method seems to be at times. But at the same time, the idea of "top" RPers proclaiming ourselves the best when we hardly roleplay competitively with each other on a front like this (the tailed beasts) anymore is self-defeating, not to mention reforming SL RP starts and ends with whatever is important to the RPers that run the place. The biju are the only place on SL where you can constructively modify how things are done around here.

People thought the biju rules would never get to a working, functional state. All that doubt and what resulted from sweat, blood, tears, and higher than usual power bills? An OOC system that is living, breathing, and, while still a work in progress, has a future that newcomers can get the rules on and not be lost as a cardinal in a savanna.

No one wants to lose, as Athos stated, hence why the odds of two RPers coming together to plan out an RP for the biju are pretty slim unless the two are close friends. These IC rules are not about those happy couples or triplets or however high amount it goes. It's about the ones who don't get along so nicely, who need structure and order just to get through a biju match of even this OOC system without trying to tear each other a part.

If we can figure out how to RP the biju fights again, collectively, then we can also figure out how to RP with each other, en masse, again without having to resort to ever-growing rules to keep each other honorable and on the Yoda path.

Because figuring out how to RP the biju fights again requires understanding, give, take, civil discussion, maybe even some politics. It requires a village to raise this red head stepchild that is the product of its parents' union. Of its village's continued existence.

I believe it is vital and necessary to make IC biju hunt rules for our sake. You can talk a big game about reforming SL RP, about including new people, about nerfs that remedy a symptom rather than a sickness, but if you want to make a real difference:

Figure out a way for two opposing forces of RPers who by nature do not like each other (hunters vs hunted, hosts/jinchurikii vs Akatsuki style hunters, etc.) to come together without setting off an explosive chain reaction. Solve that problem, and you will become a legend worthy of the sacred place here on SL where the big names rest in peace, where reverence and true awe illuminate like the entire light of the sun in a cardboard box. Give up on that problem, and your only calling to greatness can be taken away as easily as ten forum posts, as easily overlooked as a roach dining on the pizza under the refrigerator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting off my soap box a bit, addressing:

Is there a rule that you have to actually beat your challenger's character in an OOC match? Last I checked, if you can get a judge to rule in your favor that running and dodging/countering the whole match is considered a win after a certain point where both or one of the combatants feels like the fight is going in circles, then that's a win, no further questions.

Is that not just a lengthier flight sequence?

Check out my biju battle with Masane [ http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8319.0.html ] if you need an example of what I am talking about. That fight could have gone two ways depending on who the initial judge was, and if she had had the desire to continue after what eventually became her surrender point. I did not beat her, I did not kill her, I just did whatever was in my power to keep from losing.

Another old one: http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8350.0.html

The battle was finished when the challenger conceded. Whether he was defeated or not would have been for a judge to determine, but no winner was declared based upon a final blow, a "kill" or "knock-out". It was determined by a concession, likely prompted by the conditions that the challenger found himself in. The following fights were determined by judge decisions, concessions, agreements between players, etc. that make the point that playing the objective -not losing- is not so far removed from OOC fights either.

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8371.0.html
http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8543.0.html
http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8573.15.html
http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8874.0.html
http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8955.15.html

In OOC fights, since Ichirou vs Shadow (http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8479.0.html) fleeing from fights has been formally frowned upon, and so the culture of the biju fighters tends not to consider it as an option. As the debate throughout went, if it's not in the rules or the preferences, then there is space for abuse.

Allowing escape once the battle phase opens up was an iffy to begin with, but going through all of this again, it is probably best not to be included. In which case, hosts would try to avoid the battle phase indefinitely. What do the host/jinchurikii have to keep the "trapped against RP logic" fine for them? Thoughts?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »

Updated with some thoughts on the matter of escape.

Trying to make it as uncomplicated as possible without leaving too much vague. Still a WIP though. Continued input is encouraged and very much welcome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 8.046 seconds with 16 queries.