Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)  (Read 11910 times)

Ryukage Darkrasengan

Re: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:51:37 AM »

No they would not. It would be like most of SL just had it. As long as they are placed directly under each other, and there are only 50 chars; then it should not be a problem. What we need to wonder about, is if this would cause bugs in the server.   

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »

I have wanted to change the bio page for years - but I cannot exactly identify how.

I think this is a good idea, but instead of only 50, I would say 100 chars - to account for all of the colors, etc.  Sure, people could make 50 work, but since if anything is added, why not go a little extra?

ETA:  I also think that the two bio areas should be combined into one, and extend the amount of characters allowed there (say 1,500 total).

There is one bio area, that appears above the eyecolor/haircolor/age section, and it has something like a 200 character limit.  Then below the E/H/A section, there is the 'extended bio' with 800 characters allowed.

Are they split for a reason?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:37:52 AM by atomkai »

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:34:31 AM »

ETA:  I also think that the two bio areas should be combined into one, and extend the amount of characters allowed there (say 1,500 total).

There is one bio area, that appears above the eyecolor/haircolor/age section, and it has something like a 200 character limit.  Then below the E/H/A section, there is the 'extended bio' with 800 characters allowed.

Agreed.

Ryukage Darkrasengan

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 06:52:20 AM »

I have wanted to change the bio page for years - but I cannot exactly identify how.

I think this is a good idea, but instead of only 50, I would say 100 chars - to account for all of the colors, etc.  Sure, people could make 50 work, but since if anything is added, why not go a little extra?

ETA:  I also think that the two bio areas should be combined into one, and extend the amount of characters allowed there (say 1,500 total).

There is one bio area, that appears above the eyecolor/haircolor/age section, and it has something like a 200 character limit.  Then below the E/H/A section, there is the 'extended bio' with 800 characters allowed.

Makes a lot of sense. Agreed.

However it seems like we may be asking for too much, no?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:34:47 AM by Ryukage Darkrasengan »

IceSlayer

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »

I say, move the top smaller bio to be just under where the eye colour etc is, and increase the char limit, and you can use that area as you please.

Then maybe increase the other bio area to 1000 chars?

That's the same thing I was thinking. Would 10 boxes of 50 chars max in a bio take up a lot of space?
Data, not space. 10 multiplied by X000 players takes up a lot

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

Note: Charlimit for additional bioinfos is 800 chars. T This additional text is turned on by your admin. T This additional physical informations are turned on by your admin.

Question: are 800 chars not enough?

I mean, alright, why not 10,000 chars, the one who triggered the bugfix used ~5k chars... so... do you want a full-page-article about that player?

I cannot (!!) make "x lines of text" happening. If you use 800x600 resolution, a line is short. 1600x1200, a line is long. Which should I use for reference? Else you have breaks all the time in between lines.

Thanks, by the way, to all for just using the bug instead of reporting it. As anybody could see, it was NOT meant to be like this - haircolor is haircolor, not "type in all you want about your char".

You have 25 letters (incl. colors) for your hair/eye color. 800 chars for your bio.

Never judge a cow by its udder.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »

I, like others, didn't see it as abuse. When I think of abuse, I think of harm being done. It didn't seem to harm anything (I can't say that it didn't slow the game down or anything, I wouldn't know for certain).  I saw it as just a way to have a formatted bio (like the way eye color and hair color are) to explain my char. Everyone else and I, myself, are sorry. I'm curious, though, what effect did it have? Did it slow the server down?

I cannot (!!) make "x lines of text" happening. If you use 800x600 resolution, a line is short. 1600x1200, a line is long. Which should I use for reference? Else you have breaks all the time in between lines.

Alright, so that won't work out. Would it be possible to increase the char limit on bio section without having the same effect as this bug did?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:48:12 PM by Demon Bandit Taumaster »

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

Alright, so that won't work out. Would it be possible to increase the char limit on bio section without having the same effect as this bug did?

I think you should answer the question below before you ask that question...

Question: are 800 chars not enough?

I mean, alright, why not 10,000 chars, the one who triggered the bugfix used ~5k chars... so... do you want a full-page-article about that player?

As for me, my answer would be, 800 chars feels a bit short. For people who can really write (not in terms of grammer, but story-telling), their bio could easily reach 1,000 chars without colour codes. So in order to fit the 800 chars limit, they would have to remove a lot of details and sometimes even shorten certain sentenses to the point where they sound like they have really bad English.

However, the bug made me realize something...I didn't really want to read a bio that's like 3~5k long. I wrote a lot of character bios, both for myself (& my alt characters) and a few other players, but I am unable to place my finger on a number that neither feels too short nor too long.

Regardless of what number I put my finger on, someone is sure to complain that it's too short. That is why the character limit is kept at 800 chars. Players will just have to use their smarts to summarize their bio to make it fit. Although that might mean using just 1 or no colour codes at all, and removing that long list of friends, family, equipments, techniques etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:04:47 PM by Gyu~ru~ru »

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »

No, I wouldn't want to read a 5k long bio.

I'd think 1,200-1,500 chars would suffice..max. The thing is, many people like using color codes (myself being one of them). I don't just randomly stick in color codes and make it look like a giant bowl of fruitloops, but I use a good amount. Using more than a few forces your bio to become smaller and smaller.

A lot of people who used this bug used a layout like this (an example) because it looks nice, organized, and resembles the rest of the bio:
`n `^Home Village: `lK`Lirigakure
`n `^Chakra Affinity: `2F`@uuto`2n

..and so on. With this layout, you aren't really making a long list or even using that many colors, but it still literally takes up dozens of chars for so little. I think in the small 2 lines I provided above, I have 50+ chars. Increasing the chars to 1,200-1,500 would make it so you are using 800-1,000 chars (letters) plus all the codes involved.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:37:28 PM by Demon Bandit Taumaster »

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 06:23:44 AM »

After checking how many characters my bio had, I think we are going to need a 2k character limit. >.>
I also dont like the thought of wasting a day or 2 setting up my bio in webs.com T.T

IceSlayer

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

After checking how many characters my bio had, I think we are going to need a 2k character limit. >.>
I also dont like the thought of wasting a day or 2 setting up my bio in webs.com T.T
Shorten it, and it would hardly take more than a few minutes to set up a bio on a site like that...

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »

Just happen to see this while checking the commentary.

[  ] (motd) (18h47m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur notes,"This is an rp game guys..They HAVE to take away any form of ability to give chars. personalities..After all, rp games DO NOT want you to have a fully functional rp char with a background. It just can't happen because rping doesn't-
[  ] (motd) (18h45m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur - involve creating a character, their personality, and abilities..or the way they fight, etc. Remember, the basis of rp, is to sit there, do nothing, and be bland, and the exact same as everyone else. That is why the hair+eye color is limited. So-
[  ] (motd) (18h43m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur remember guys, that the color is limited, so that people don't stray from to norm, be innovative, and rp to the best of their ability. We say "why does color mean anything in rp" Peopl make stories in the color area for their chars. This is just-
[  ] (motd) (18h42m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur -so, so very wrong..Bypassing an 800 limit just makes it so that they are different..They have to cut it out..Period." yawns and says,"Seriously though, it really isn't that bad..Maybe, since they cut that, we can get the bar back ^^~"

After removing the sarcasm, the player is basically saying that they want a bio that's long enough for them to write the character's background, personality, fighting style and such  (as well as pretty colours) for roleplaying. Without these, it's really hard to get into the mood to roleplay as their characters.

I am just posting this here because the topic's lack of contents. To me, 800 chars just means that I will have to think harder to write a bio that can cover everything without exceeding the char limit.

Uchiha, Rares

• I don't argue. I just explain why I'm right. >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »

And if you feel the char limit is to short for you you can use the personal website....

Trash doesn't seem to know it's place anymore. I'm here to fix that.

Ryukage Darkrasengan

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

Good way to post something we already covered, fifty. -___-

Uchiha, Rares

• I don't argue. I just explain why I'm right. >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

Thanks Dark ^_^

Trash doesn't seem to know it's place anymore. I'm here to fix that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.