Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)  (Read 11913 times)

Ryukage Darkrasengan

Re: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »

You're very welcome my anemic friend. =]

Anyways, throughout all of this, I don't believe that the bar will return.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 07:38:22 PM »

Just happen to see this while checking the commentary.

[  ] (motd) (18h47m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur notes,"This is an rp game guys..They HAVE to take away any form of ability to give chars. personalities..After all, rp games DO NOT want you to have a fully functional rp char with a background. It just can't happen because rping doesn't-
[  ] (motd) (18h45m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur - involve creating a character, their personality, and abilities..or the way they fight, etc. Remember, the basis of rp, is to sit there, do nothing, and be bland, and the exact same as everyone else. That is why the hair+eye color is limited. So-
[  ] (motd) (18h43m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur remember guys, that the color is limited, so that people don't stray from to norm, be innovative, and rp to the best of their ability. We say "why does color mean anything in rp" Peopl make stories in the color area for their chars. This is just-
[  ] (motd) (18h42m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur -so, so very wrong..Bypassing an 800 limit just makes it so that they are different..They have to cut it out..Period." yawns and says,"Seriously though, it really isn't that bad..Maybe, since they cut that, we can get the bar back ^^~"

After removing the sarcasm, the player is basically saying that they want a bio that's long enough for them to write the character's background, personality, fighting style and such  (as well as pretty colours) for roleplaying. Without these, it's really hard to get into the mood to roleplay as their characters.

I am just posting this here because the topic's lack of contents. To me, 800 chars just means that I will have to think harder to write a bio that can cover everything without exceeding the char limit.

Exactly what Plur said. I want to include these things in my bio, but there's simply no room unless you become so bland and un-descriptive (I can't think of the word for it, it's on the tip of my tongue) that it basically looks like a 3rd grader wrote it.

Ryukage Darkrasengan

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »

Just happen to see this while checking the commentary.

[  ] (motd) (18h47m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur notes,"This is an rp game guys..They HAVE to take away any form of ability to give chars. personalities..After all, rp games DO NOT want you to have a fully functional rp char with a background. It just can't happen because rping doesn't-
[  ] (motd) (18h45m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur - involve creating a character, their personality, and abilities..or the way they fight, etc. Remember, the basis of rp, is to sit there, do nothing, and be bland, and the exact same as everyone else. That is why the hair+eye color is limited. So-
[  ] (motd) (18h43m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur remember guys, that the color is limited, so that people don't stray from to norm, be innovative, and rp to the best of their ability. We say "why does color mean anything in rp" Peopl make stories in the color area for their chars. This is just-
[  ] (motd) (18h42m) <沈黙> Ekirei 疫 Plur -so, so very wrong..Bypassing an 800 limit just makes it so that they are different..They have to cut it out..Period." yawns and says,"Seriously though, it really isn't that bad..Maybe, since they cut that, we can get the bar back ^^~"

After removing the sarcasm, the player is basically saying that they want a bio that's long enough for them to write the character's background, personality, fighting style and such  (as well as pretty colours) for roleplaying. Without these, it's really hard to get into the mood to roleplay as their characters.

I am just posting this here because the topic's lack of contents. To me, 800 chars just means that I will have to think harder to write a bio that can cover everything without exceeding the char limit.

Exactly what Plur said. I want to include these things in my bio, but there's simply no room unless you become so bland and un-descriptive (I can't think of the word for it, it's on the tip of my tongue) that it basically looks like a 3rd grader wrote it.

Exactly~

Uchiha, Rares

• I don't argue. I just explain why I'm right. >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »

I'm not saying this is a good nor bad idea...but seriously,you guys know that if neji said his point of view once on an idea,that is bound to not change.

Trash doesn't seem to know it's place anymore. I'm here to fix that.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 09:34:26 PM »

Neji didn't say his point of view.... He never declined this, at least as far as I can tell. He said to make a request if we'd like more space, so here it is.

Uchiha, Rares

• I don't argue. I just explain why I'm right. >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 09:50:59 PM »

Note: Charlimit for additional bioinfos is 800 chars. T This additional text is turned on by your admin. T This additional physical informations are turned on by your admin.

Question: are 800 chars not enough?

I mean, alright, why not 10,000 chars, the one who triggered the bugfix used ~5k chars... so... do you want a full-page-article about that player?

I cannot (!!) make "x lines of text" happening. If you use 800x600 resolution, a line is short. 1600x1200, a line is long. Which should I use for reference? Else you have breaks all the time in between lines.

Thanks, by the way, to all for just using the bug instead of reporting it. As anybody could see, it was NOT meant to be like this - haircolor is haircolor, not "type in all you want about your char".

You have 25 letters (incl. colors) for your hair/eye color. 800 chars for your bio.

Thats pretty loud and clear to me.:/

Trash doesn't seem to know it's place anymore. I'm here to fix that.

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »

Neji didn't say his point of view.... He never declined this, at least as far as I can tell. He said to make a request if we'd like more space, so here it is.

That's what I call positive thinking =)

You have 25 letters (incl. colors) for your hair/eye color. 800 chars for your bio.

But this part feels like he is telling us what we are getting. And that's most likely final.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:21:23 AM by Gyu~ru~ru »

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:40 AM »

Ah, well then, I guess so.  :-?

Ryukage Darkrasengan

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »

Wow, what a crush of hopes and dreams.

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 08:37:34 AM »

I know, I know . . . I ask a lot

Note: Charlimit for additional bioinfos is 800 chars. T This additional text is turned on by your admin. T This additional physical informations are turned on by your admin.

Question: are 800 chars not enough?

I mean, alright, why not 10,000 chars, the one who triggered the bugfix used ~5k chars... so... do you want a full-page-article about that player?

Perhaps leave the short bio info alone (~200 chars), expand the 'extended bio info' to 1,000 chars, and somehow make it so that color codes do not count toward your allotment.  To be honest, I do not know how to make that last part occur, but color codes do not add to length, so . . . if it could be done relatively easy, then why not?  It adds to the individuality of the player, without increasing the readable length of the bio.  Though I would guess it still could cause server issues . . .

I cannot (!!) make "x lines of text" happening. If you use 800x600 resolution, a line is short. 1600x1200, a line is long. Which should I use for reference? Else you have breaks all the time in between lines.

On the page where you enter eye/ hair color, could something along the lines of the following be adopted?

Line 1 (fixed) Eyecolor:  [ enter text here]
Line 2 (fixed) Haircolor: [ enter text here ]
Line 3 [enter text here]: [enter text here]
Line 4 [enter text here]: [enter text here]
Line 5 [enter text here]: [enter text here]

Any line that has an no entry in either text box is simply not displayed (ignored) - both must have some text, or both are ignored.

Oh, and I really wish the 25 could increase to 50.  "Sometimes gray, sometimes blue" does not appear for my eyes and "a fairly boring shade of brown" also does not appear - both sentence are truncated at exactly 13 characters, and I only used one color code (`7) on the text that is showing - meaning that it appears to only process 15 chars for that field currently.

Eyecolor: Sometimes a s
Haircolor: A fairly bori

Thanks, by the way, to all for just using the bug instead of reporting it. As anybody could see, it was NOT meant to be like this - haircolor is haircolor, not "type in all you want about your char".

Sure, my bad.  My EXCUSE (yes, I know . . . ) is that I did not consider it a bug/exploit.  I was not racking up gems/gold/hp/pks - or any other in game advantage.  As mentioned earlier by someone else, it appeared to be an Easter Egg.  With the rest of the game so regimented, leaving any textbox with no limit seemed unlikely.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »

On the page where you enter eye/ hair color, could something along the lines of the following be adopted?

Any line that has an no entry in either text box is simply not displayed (ignored) - both must have some text, or both are ignored.
This is what I was trying to request. I didn't know how else to explain it.

IceSlayer

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18:06 AM »

Sure a few extra characters doesn't sound like much does it? But think of say an extra 200 characters for each account on the game, now with all the thousands of accounts on the site that really adds up.

Okay, you have to create to entries into the database for both Eyecolour and Haircolour as it already is, but then you have to add an extra 6 fields, 3 for the values, and 3 for what your going to call them. again, 6 multiplied by the number of players on the game... it really adds up guys. Neji knows best so just accept no when he says no.

SleepyHead

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »

I do miss the extended bio, I don't think anyone really intended to cause problems while using it.
They just wanted to make everything easier, as you haven't got to wait to load the extended bio site.
I personally like the extra box idea... but once again I realize that would take a LOT of space and work to implement into the server. But.....It would make everyone happy? And maybe give neji that warm fuzzy feeling? :roll: If that's possible of course ;)

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »

lol @ Sleepyhead
Well I took Ice's advice and made me a web bio on webs.com, although I was bound to make one sooner or later. What surprised me is that it only took me 2 days, considering I'm the lazy type. It still needs some editing here and there but it is more or less done. You might as well make a thread that helps people to make/organize their RP work on webs.com. By the time, Neji changes his mind (Big "IF" there), you'll already be done with your own web bio. xD

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 06:44:36 AM »

Okay, you have to create to entries into the database for both Eyecolour and Haircolour as it already is, but then you have to add an extra 6 fields, 3 for the values, and 3 for what your going to call them. again, 6 multiplied by the number of players on the game... it really adds up guys.

Yes, I realize that it adds up . . . but are you referring to server space or bandwidth?  I was not aware of a space issue, and what are we really talking about as far as extra space goes . . . a potential increase of 10kb per page . . . at max?  I mean, my math could be way off - I admit that, but writing pages, the additions seem to take up a really small amount of space (my pages are efficient and are much more simple).  Assuming my math is ballpark, I could kind of see a bandwidth concern, but how often are bio pages requested?

Neji knows best so just accept no when he says no.

I, without hesitation, defer to Neji's judgment . . . if for no other reason than he is the admin.  That does not mean there should not be discourse on the matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.