Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)  (Read 11911 times)

Demon Bandit Taumaster

Re: Extended Bios (Sectioned Bios)
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »

Neji told me it had nothing to do with space. I see no reason to not increase it slightly. I'm not saying 5k chars. No, we don't need that. 1,200 in the additional bios and 50 in eye color and hair color would suffice. Currently, the eye color and hair color fits almost nothing unless you want a 2 colored, 1 word color description. I prefer things like, for example: slate grey, emerald green, sky blue, etc. These don't fit unless you have 1, maybe 2, colors.

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:06 AM »

. . .  and 50 in eye color and hair color would suffice. Currently, the eye color and hair color fits almost nothing unless you want a 2 colored, 1 word color description. I prefer things like, for example: slate grey, emerald green, sky blue, etc. These don't fit unless you have 1, maybe 2, colors.

Only the first 15 characters entered in my eye/hair color appear on my bio - see page three for details.  One color code (`7) which equals two characters and 13 characters of text.

ETA:  Okay, so 17 chars (2 for the one color code, 13 text characters and 2 spaces).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:18:19 AM by atomkai »

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »

I noticed that as well. The current limit says 25, right? 15 is really not much to work with if you want anything beyond " `1blue "  :-?

Edit: I'm requesting the 1,200 in additional bio if Atomkai's formatted request is not possible to code/space/etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:21:46 AM by Demon Bandit Taumaster »

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »

There are several solutions to this...

as it came up, if people want to format things like...

ATTRIBUTE: blabla

STYLE: blabla

then I don't see why eye/haircolor is necessary... it can just be in that very same textfield. I can just drop that ^^ so you have no 25 chars limit whatsoever.

As said about the size: I can go up with it and it won't really hit the server performance hard, but if you have *huge* text on each bio, most people will skip the reading part.

My suggestion is to drop the individual stats( hair/eyes) and make one big text field.

Now only the size is the question.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

Well, everyone write a bio with colour, codes, descriptions, background, skills and everything. Please keep a 1500 characters limit in mind while doing so. When you are done, post it here along with the number of characters you ended up with.

Use the link below to count the number of characters,
http://www.lettercount.com/

Important: Please keep in mind that everybody is going to read that bio you wrote. I don't think anybody is interested in reading a really long story about your boring childhood, your days in the academy, balr blar blar... or seeing a long list of your friends and jutsu.

An average bio length will be calculated to help Neji determine the character limit for the additional bio. I suggest removing the short bio (225 char limit) along with the hair & eye colour.

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

There are several solutions to this...

as it came up, if people want to format things like...

ATTRIBUTE: blabla

STYLE: blabla

then I don't see why eye/haircolor is necessary... it can just be in that very same textfield. I can just drop that ^^ so you have no 25 chars limit whatsoever.

I understand what you are saying, and if having the 'user definable' attributes creates problems, then I understand that not being a desirable option.  I will send you a picture showing my reworked ideas - which I would have no problem doing . . . if only I could make sense of the bio.php file (I have stagnated).

As said about the size: I can go up with it and it won't really hit the server performance hard, but if you have *huge* text on each bio, most people will skip the reading part.

My suggestion is to drop the individual stats( hair/eyes) and make one big text field.

Now only the size is the question.

I have two concerns regarding this:  

(1) I think in a bio/dossier/bingo book entry - there are certain standard fields that the compiler of such information attempts to fill.  I would think eye color and hair color would be standard entries.  But I also think that those two plus age, height, etc. should be up with all of the other 'stats' (next to, or just below the picture - ideally, that is where the three 'user definable' fields would reside also).

(2) Aesthetically, I don't like seeing this:

Bio:
Eyecolor: whatever I want to put.
Haircolor: whatever I want to put.

AtomKai blah, blah, blah

Having the word 'Bio', with no apparent text next to it, and having it be directly above whatever I created with the `n looks awkward (to me).

I understand it is much more work to do it the other way, and if no time is available, I understand . . . I am not complaining.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:30:32 PM by atomkai »

Zimzamboo

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

Sorry to revive this old topic, but it seems it died without resolution (and I see no need to make a new, when this one has a a great deal of good info to it)

I liked Tau's idea best, having "custom" lines, but it was swiftly denied it seems.

I know, even now, there are many who wish they had more bio space, as well as a slightly longer eye/hair color if those were to stay.

Is this just not possible?

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »

Yes, it is called making a Website, and adding it as the link in your Personal website area.
That or just learn to use your space wisely.

Jinsei

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »

(2) Aesthetically, I don't like seeing this:

Bio:

AtomKai blah, blah, blah

Having the word 'Bio', with no apparent text next to it, and having it be directly above whatever I created with the `n looks awkward (to me).

I understand it is much more work to do it the other way, and if no time is available, I understand . . . I am not complaining.
I personally add a sentence or two after Bio: so it flows more fluently.

Example
Bio:
[Insert name] is a god amongst every ninja in the ninja world!
He is calm and polite to even the most wicked of shinobi.
Extra thing: whatever I want to put.

Yes, it is called making a Website, and adding it as the link in your Personal website area.
That or just learn to use your space wisely.
Huzzah! I am pretty sure that is what everybody does now-a-days.
Whether you like it or not, you MUST CONFORM!

Not really, but Ice has the right idea. I see no problem with the current text limit or the issue above.
If you want or need more room, make a website (there are plenty of free ones out there) and put everything in it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:28:27 AM by Jinsei »
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 01:45:02 AM »

Yep, I personally don't want to see your whole life story when I click on your Bio, I just want to see a brief summary of yourself.
If I'm more interested in finding out more, ie a RP setting, then I'll be willing to go and research more.

Zimzamboo

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 05:29:13 AM »

Not all want, and for the few, know how to make a sub-site for it.

It was nice having more detailed bio work, on server

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »

The way I see it, if you want a more detailed bio, and are willing to put in the work, then it is hardly much more effort to make your own.
Then you can do whatever you want with if it, no limits.

Jinsei

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:32 AM »

Not all want, and for the few, know how to make a sub-site for it.

It was nice having more detailed bio work, on server

Plus, sites like yola.com and freewebs.com do not require ANY coding knowledge of HTML or CSS.
Little to no knowledge is required or even necessary to create a sub-site.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes.

sharakkar

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »

Was it nice to be able to put more info in the bio? Yes. Was it completely necessary? No. The way I see it, the bio was just meant to be something short that would give other players a general idea of who your character was. So only the main points should be included. If you want to increase the length of your hair/eye colour than it is a simple matter of choosing to not show that part in your character bio and then typing it all in in the actual bio. ie

Bio: blah blah blah
Eyecolour: Supercalafragalistc Magneyko Purple Great Eye of Bob
Haircolour: The blackest of blacks, blacker than that black thing, black

It doesn't really take that much effort to do something like that. And it is a simple matter to create a sub site on like freewebs.com or something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 16 queries.